Some Iron what is its?

JM9841

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_9276.jpgIMG_6885.jpgIMG_4463.jpgIMG_4162.jpg

Upstate NY. So I dug the large hook at my house (built in 1907 but was farm land since the 1800s) and the buckle at a different site that has had activity since pre colonial times. I'm pretty sure the hook is a meat hook, but would appreciate any other opinions regarding a time period/ identification. The buckle I believe is horse tack but was curious if it could be a shoe buckle? The small pitchfork like object was found in my friends garage. It appears to have a tang and was possibly mounted on a wooden handle. Its also barbed in between the spikes. I have no idea what it is. It was more than likely dug up on his land which was a Trolley bridge in the 1800's. Nothing too fancy to post, I've been finding mostly Iron and the occasional bottle, better then nothing.

I think the fork shaped thing is a fish spear head. They used to go out at night with a torch or lantern hanging in front of the boat. The fish would come to the light and then were speared. Very cool find!

Upvote 0
Indian Steve is correct I think. It has even barbs on each point... the point tips are missing...

Upvote 0
I think the hook may be from an old block & tackle.

Upvote 0
I've seen the spearhead fork in some of my antique books. They I.D. them as eel gig's. I found this one on ebay and they claim its a Cheasapeake Bay Eel Gig. It looks similar to the one you found. Their asking $64.95 for it. It seems there are many types of design in eel gigs. Nice find and it is collectible.
Antique Vintage Hand Wrought Iron Chesapeake Bay Eel Gig | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Wow thanks for the info! The village is also called Alplause which is an old dutch derived word meaning place of the eels, the dutch settled the area in the late 1600s also the french/Indian army camped here before raiding schenectady. Its on the mohawk river, in NY.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back