Some hammers and a banner

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
These were also found in SW PA. The banner stone fragment was only kept because RichPA told me to. Well, after getting it home and cleaning it up I saw the drill hole and one straight side. I hope you can see it in the pics.
101_4426.jpg

101_4407.jpg

101_4406.jpg

The hammer stone has seen better days. It was broken in two places by the plow and scuffed in a couple others. I shined a flashlight on it to try to show you the difference between the smooth section and the percussion marked section.
101_4427.jpg

101_4416.jpg

These two were from the shared hunt. Thanks again Rich.

This last hammer stone is a creek find. I almost didn't keep it because I didn't see percussion marks when it was wet. This was the only hard stone that I've ever seen in this creek so I decided to keep it. After about an hour in my pocket I looked at it again and sure enough there was a small amount of pecks on the one end and even fewer on the skinny end.
101_4423.jpg

101_4422.jpg

Thanks for looking. Can't wait to go out hunting again.

Upvote 0
That cool you and Rich teamed up for a hunt. He has been known to find some killers on those double secret hunting spots. Hope you guys find bunches and thanks for sharin the hammerstones and broken banner stone. Good luck !!
TnMtns

Thanks a lot. The spot that we went to was by no means double secret. It was a new place that he wanted to check out. His other places have produced some exceptional artifacts. But I don't expect him to take me to those places and I understand why. In fact I won't go back to the place we shared unless he invites me. But the next new place that I want to check out I'll invite him. There really is an advantage for a new guy to bring along someone with more experience. And I ask a lot of questions. It ends up being benefitial for both.

Good to see that was a bannerstone fragment. I would have to thank the members of TNet for helping gain experience. I would not have known the banded slate was artifact material until it was posted on this site. We'll have to hit the creek below the site when the water gets low.

Cool finds! Your bannerstone piece looks to have had an oblong hole versus a round one, so it was either a Panel Bannerstone or a Geniculate Bannerstone, I'd say it was probably a panel banner. You can google those and get a better idea of what it originally looked like.

Congrats!

Thanks a lot for the info on the banner.

That's something else I wanted to mention. It's this site that got me interested again in artifacts. The knowledge on here is second to none as far as I can tell. I have learned so much just reading the different posts. But all the reading in the world isn't going to accumulate any points. It's T-net that kicked me in the butt and got me out in the fields. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back