Solid Gold

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
It's strange to me to find gold and silver around the house.? But you accumulate "a lot" when older relatives pass away.? I was looking at posts on here when I got to thinking about a ring I knew my mom had in her drawer.? This was my ggmother's.? In 1911 she got engaged, then the guy drowned.? This is the ring he was going to give her.

I was wondering what karat it was.? All it says is "SOLID GOLD".? I'm guessing that this doesn't mean 24k.? Any ideas?

Attachments

• goldring1.jpg
    goldring1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 462
  • goldring2.jpg
    goldring2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 465
Great find, regardless of where you found it...
Sorry, I don't know too much about gold, but with it being that old, the box might end up being worth more than the ring... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0
Looking at the color I would say that it is probably 12-14K gold. My advice would be to take it to a jeweler for testing. If you were looking to sell it, then I would suggest that you sell it in the box shown in the photo as a complete package along with a certified copy of the history of the ring. The gold itself is not that expensive itself on the current market. However, give the gold some history and it becomes more valuable.

In any case, great find and a great family heirloom.

Upvote 0
Yes, with the box and the story behind the ring. I believe it is a very interesting.

Upvote 0
I'm not entirely sure how the clarity or color appear in the picture compared to the ring itself. My friend, Matt, saw the pictures on the moniter when he came over last night and said it looked like brass. It doesn't, but that was his first impression, which leads me to believe it's not identicle... I didn't shine it or anything before the pictures were taken either, just took it out of the box. Was there a time when they didn't engrave how many karats a ring is?

Upvote 0
I have seen other gold rings from that era that were marked SOLID GOLD. My father's wedding band is marked that way. Chances are it is 24K, but a jeweler can tell you for sure. They may be able to tell by the weight. They can also do a comparison check. The only problem with having it tested that way, is, they may have to make a slight mark on it with a stone. 24K gold is very soft. Even a ring that size can easily be bent. SmokeEater

Upvote 0
Do different karats have different densities? I don't have the proper equipment to do a density test, but I'm just wondering. After all, the first time anyone did a density test was on gold. http://www.visionlearning.com/library/module_viewer.php?mid=37&l=&c3=

The fact is, we would never sell it, it being a family heirloom and all. It's just me with my eternal treasure hunter complex that's got me wondering.

Upvote 0
the purer the karet the heavier the gold,, makes sense really as what would be the point in buying a purer gold item, you want the purer gold therefore its better quality and heavier,, although on smaller items not really noticeable.. a pure solid bar of gold a cubic foot square would wiegh around half a tonne,, try shifting a few of them in a hurry with just your hands on,,... ;D

Upvote 0
614 lbs per cubic foot -- if a troy oz is $500.00 -- then the value of the cubic foot of gold would be $3,684,000. ;D

Upvote 0
yeah...I think I could deal with a few hundred pounds of that stuff. I might even retire...anyone got any to spare, lying around your house somewhere?

cheapskates! ;D

Upvote 0
A Jeweler has told me that gold items of earlier times did not have hallmarks on them. a simple spot test will tell you what the Karat actually is. I would ask the person doing it to do it in an inconspicuous place, IE. inside the band if that is possible, HH Art...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back