PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I found this rock. It didn't look like much.

IMG_1021.jpg

I flipped it over.

IMG_1022.jpg

It still looked like a rock.

But wait, there's more....

There is this shiny yellow stuff embedded in the back side. I tried to get decent pictures of it but it looks better in real life than in photos. It's probably mica or pyrite. I will test it later. I put red arrows and circles using the graphic software to highlight the yellow stuff. You have to look close though, it's kind of small on the photos.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Any thoughts?

Patrick

PS: Happy New Year!!!

Upvote 4
:occasion18: I hope you know what you just started....lol:laughing9:

<-looking around conspiratoriously->

No, what?

I found it this morning in a ravine near my place.

gold fever

Much like the Spanish of the mid 1500's, there is a disease of the heart that only gold can cure.

I'm sure there's a geologist on here that can figure it out for you. :icon_thumright:

YOU'RE A ZILLIONAIRE!! :laughing7:

Thanks for the pics - that worked better than a cup of coffee! :thumbsup:

I can't tell from the pics, so looking forward to hearing about your test(s) later today. 8-)

While on vacation about 15 years ago I was in the mountains of golden Colorado and found a few rocks that were covered in gold specs, I have them somewhere and forgot all about them until I read this post..I'm gonna have to do some investigating now. Nice find!
Kyle-

<-looking around conspiratoriously->

No, what?

I found it this morning in a ravine near my place.
Really?
OK, I guess you don't follow many posts on here. Don't need to explain it to most, so I won't spoil the surprise for you.

Thanks for the great feedback. I am guessing pyrite. Simply because, if there were a field full of rocks embedded with gold and one rock with pyrite, I would pick up the Pyrite.

Here are some more pictures of the rock. I turned off the flash and that seemed to help some. The rock is about six inches long.

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

(Ok, if it's pyrite, please, no pyrite jokes.... Arrgggh.)

I would have to say Pyrite as well. Gold doesn't usually have sharp angles. If you take a knife and shave a little off it will probably flake off.

It was downstream in that ravine I posted about months ago with the vein of black sand.

I have found a couple things in this ravine. Some really small flour gold, another silvery substance that is heavy like the gold. Not a lot, mind you, but some. I also found pyrite in the ravine already so it makes sense this is part of it.

There looks like quartz in the rock and some black substance (possibly magnetite or hematite) around the yellow shiny stuff. I've been busy getting ready for new year's festivities so haven't really checked the rock too closely. I will do that later this evening when time frees up a little. I guess, deep down, I know that it's not really gold but I want to savor the anticipation, lol.

Patrick..only one way to know for sure. Take the rock and crush it down,
then pan out the material. If there is gold in it, it'll be in the pan.

If there is decent gold in it, I'd suggest you go get some more rocks...:icon_thumright:

What Crusader is referring to is a few rock posts get WAY out of hand. I wish I could find the one that was the most amusing with him getting an offer to come to the states but it is buried somewhere!

Does it sound off on a metal detector?

crush it pan it and test it or dissolve the rock you never know whats in the rock. Crystallyn gold has shape edges once you dissolve the rock from around it good luck hope your find is golden

BWB will be here soon. He's never far away. Great rock

What Crusader is referring to is a few rock posts get WAY out of hand. I wish I could find the one that was the most amusing with him getting an offer to come to the states but it is buried somewhere!

The thread is probably locked and stuffed in a corner of the Tnet attic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back