SO CLOSE, but still a dream

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Was going through two DIME boxes last night. First box a complete SKUNK for silver, with only 3-2009's to boot. Second box, appearing to be a skunk again until I got to the fifth roll. I always cut the ends of my rolls off & then let the paper roll unroll in my left palm & date search with my right. As I cut & unrolled this 5th, a dark gray rim appeared, badly worm rim to the point of NO reeding groves showing, and very thin compared to the others. I figured it may be foreign, or better yet it might be a MERC. When I grabbed the rim from between the other clads the reverse of the coin shows up first. Notice that it was a MERC, and quickly noticed that it was a mint mark "D". My heart was beginning to beat faster hoping that it might be, could it be, a 1916-D ? I was reluctant to turn it over at first, but when I did, found that it was only a 1918-D. As my pulse lowered to normal, I looked further at the coin and considered it only to grade near GOOD condition. I then came back to realism that I would never find my first 16-D dime. The rest of the box coughed up four more Rosie's, for a total of 5 silvers in box two. Not a dream box as everyone looks for, but for that moment it was a DREAM that I've been carrying with me since the 60's. SOONER OR LATER, my dream might come through. Sorry, no pic, only a broken dream. Thanks for reading about my possible DREAM......to be continued, I hope!

Upvote 0
I know the feeling. I found a VF 1916-S in a CWR about a year ago. Saw the face and date first. Flipped it over and saw it was mint marked and for just a second I thought maybe.

That's still a great find with an early Merc! I hope you find your 1916-D someday!

HH

Vdubguy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back