smallest trade axe ever

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I picked up this little trade axe while looking for arrowheads in a field in western New York. It is the only trade axe I have ever found so I was very happy to see it just laying in the dirt. I would like to know if they were commen in this size or if it was larger at one point in its life and was sharpend down to this size?

Thanks for looking and happy hunting
Moah

Attachments

• small trade hatchet 3.jpg
    small trade hatchet 3.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 645
  • small trade hatchet.jpg
    small trade hatchet.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 953
  • small trade hatchet 2.jpg
    small trade hatchet 2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 989
Upvote 0
Great find dude! That is called a belt axe. Someone who is more knowledgable on that axe can give you a closer date but I think they made those around the late 1600's through the 1700's. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. It was most likely owned by one of the native Americans who made those arrowheads that you were looking for. I am assuming that you did not metal detect that area since you said that you found that surface hunting. I would HIGHLY recommend that you try that area! Set the discrimination to zero so that you can accept iron. Only change the setting to relic (Garrett) if you are picking up too much garbage, that will eliminate smaller iron and some foil. But do not set the discrimination too high because then the brass arrowheads, rolled beads, pendants, and other brass items will be discriminated.

If this is a new site that has never been hit by others with MD's or has never been excavated then you could find all sorts of stuff. In the next few days I will post some of my recent finds on a similar site in NY. I look forward to hearing how you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back