Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small Vial - Probably Wheaton's

Back in the 80's, my family and I were walking along a river in Millville NJ area, when we came upon a rather large old dumping ground that appears to have been for the nearby Wheaton Glass factory. There were hundreds of tiny bottles in the one big pile and we stuffed our pockets full and I must have kept the vast majority of them for many years. Well today I was going through one of my boxes of old finds, mostly metal detecting finds and came upon a couple of those bottles we brough home that day. I cleaned one of them up and not too bad of a bottle to display on my knick knack area.

Question being, I assume this bottle was made as a medicine vial, gads, don't think it could hold more than 1ml of any liquid it is so tiny, but with the large opening, it was for sure not one of the small perfume bottles we also picked up that day.

So, I believe the bottle can be no newer than the 50s or 60's, based on when it was found and the age of the dump area, but it also could be a tad older. There are no seams at all on the bottle, and no visible markings.

It is only 29mm high and 15mm in diameter, guess it must have had a cork or glass stopper, although we brought home several glass stoppers from the same dump pile, I do not remember any that fit the tiny bottle.

Anyway, enjoy the pics of one of my smallest plain bottles I have in my small collection.

Don

Attachments

• WheatonVialbottle.jpg
    WheatonVialbottle.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 196

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back