RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was detecting a mid 1700’s farm field and found what I think is a small gun barrel. It’s about 3 1/2” long, it’s made of brass or copper and it was filled with small lead balls. Any idea what kind of gun this was? How old would it be? Thanks for any help!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543871825.962161.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543871839.528061.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543871851.728041.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543871860.996241.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543871877.064680.jpg

Try googling Belgian brass cannon barrel derringer.You might find a match.

Upvote 0
Very cool find

Upvote 0
I don’t think it’s a gun barrel, maybe a kids toy cannon. I just don’t see the essential parts like a breach plug, touch hole etc. maybe it’s the pictures, but I would go with antique toy cannon, which would explain why it had balls in it. Don’t get me wrong, still very cool!!

Upvote 0
Looks like a match, I'm thinking .
Good call Back-of-the-boat .
edit: (so this might be a toy version ?)

derringer.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I think you got it nailed, nice job. The Saturday night special of the 1860’s. That’s a boxlock, very cool find!!!!

Upvote 0
Very interesting guys. Perhaps a gun for the ladies of the evening! Don't want to killem just because they're drunk and rowdy. Just put some bird shot in their butt! When they sober up, and get the shot plucked out, they'll be back!

Upvote 0
By golly ... here's a "real" toy cannon ... home made.

cannon.jpg

Upvote 0
Does look like a cannon barrel great piece of history. Tommy

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your help! Back of the boat you nailed it!

Upvote 0
Fascinating that the barrel was still loaded with it’s shot. Very nice find. I dream of finding an old pistol.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back