🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Small brass bell- no markings

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi friends,

OK, I know it is a bell but am looking to learning a bit more about it. This was recently found at an historic mid 1800s home with significant ties to the founding of the town (in RI). I love it and so do the owners of the property but we would like to donate it to the town’s Heritage Association given the connection to the village’s founding. (Slatersville).

There are no markings on the bell and it has a very soft and gentle ring.

The handle resembles a cross so might it be church related? Was it a bell that attached to a door? Could it be a servant’s bell? Was it just a toy? ..or a household decoration?

I am looking to learn more about the bell.

Thanks for looking!
Kim

5D106553-EF55-49BD-B82E-92444BF3FBA6.jpeg
DA31AD2E-4BF7-4BC7-B34F-22738B8B1A36.jpeg
84B1ADAE-3851-40E8-AE04-03AD29263494.jpeg

My guess would be Sanctus Bell. They were used during Holy Communion (Eucharist) to emphasize key moments in the service. The design leads me to suspect this: essentially a cross-within-a-cross. Also, its design has some embellishment but is fairly plain. This would lead me to think Anglican, of a certain period as opposed to Catholic. Also, a Sanctus bell would have a diminutive ring that was soft enough to not interrupt the Eucharist, yet it would have a musical, clear tone.

Upvote 2
I think you have a Christmas bell... perhaps one of the carolers drops.
Looks like pewter from pictures.

Upvote 1
My guess would be Sanctus Bell. They were used during Holy Communion (Eucharist) to emphasize key moments in the service. The design leads me to suspect this: essentially a cross-within-a-cross. Also, its design has some embellishment but is fairly plain. This would lead me to think Anglican, of a certain period as opposed to Catholic. Also, a Sanctus bell would have a diminutive ring that was soft enough to not interrupt the Eucharist, yet it would have a musical, clear tone.
It was near a Congregational Church but closer to the home! I wondered about a possible Eucharist bell.

Upvote 1
Looks like pewter from picture
Looks like pewter from pictures.
Thanks! I can imagine that! The photo is deceiving..It rang up as and looks like brass.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back