Sluice Boxes?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I got a sluice box from ebay, it's one of those EZ sluices. I thought this would probably be the best one for a beginner because I wasn't wanting to spend a whole lot of money on my first one. Here is my question, how do you work this thing when your in a river? I'm confused on how to place it and have the correct setup so I don't turn around and see it floating down the river.

Upvote 0
There's a lot of videos on YouTube, the principal and theory are pretty much the same for all but you should be able to find one on the ez-sluice. My friend has one and he loves it (or did until I loaned him a bazooka, lol)

Ask goldenirishman. He gave me a great read on my setup and I got alot more gold. Classify your material, level side to side (very important), then adjust the end up or down to get correct flow rate. Feed it slowly. Watch the Gold Hog mat video to understand how gold flows down the sluice. Reminds me, I have to order my mats!

Thanks for the help, I will look into those videos.

Gold Hog mats are expensive, do they only work with sluices? I don't really get how they work but I guess I will go to the videos to understand the whole concept of them.

Doc at Gold Hog does a great job of making the "science" of sluicing understandable to the beginner. You still have to figure out how to apply it to your setup but it's not rocket science. If you're like me, once you've seen it done (live or video) things make sense.

It's all about creating low pressure areas to cause gold to drop out of suspension of the flow of water and become trapped in the mat while at the same time causing the lighter material to just wash on down and off of the end of the sluice.

The EZ sluice is designed to do just that. It comes with a slick plate (flair) followed by v groove mat that starts the separating and gold trapping process then comes the riffles with miners moss under them. The riffles create low pressure areas on the down hill side of them and the miners moss traps the gold then comes the v groove to do more separating and trapping followed by another set of riffles with miners moss and then a final set of v groves to catch any fines that got away.

Every sluice has it's own way of recovering gold and so does every mat. They all work once you learn the ropes. For best results on any of them classification is the key. The closer you can get to having all the material you run to be the same size the less gold you'll lose.

GG~

Last edited:
Thanks GG helpful info. Time to watch the Video.

The above video is very basic on how to use a sluice. And the guy really needs lessons on how to pan for sure.
Do searches on youtube for more detailed instructions on both sluicing and panning.

Here is a basic video on panning.............

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back