Slick copper

tjb200

Jun 16, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Can anyone see any detail on this coin?

Thanks in advance! IMG_1773.JPGIMG_1772.JPGIMG_1771.JPGIMG_1770.JPGIMG_1769.JPGIMG_1768.JPGIMG_1767.JPGIMG_1766.JPGIMG_1765.JPGIMG_1763.JPGIMG_1762.JPGIMG_1761.JPGIMG_1764.JPG

I also have similar coin in the inheritance from my grandfather, more info and photos I posted on PapersOwl. My coin is black and I know that it appeared about at least 100 years. It will be luck a lot if anybody to tell us more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's got a lot of patina, my guess copper, but I'm no coin expert and don't know a lot about the large cent / penny, never even saw one, so I can't help ya sir, wish I could... "D"

Upvote 0
I'd keep cleaning - any copper I find that is that toasted is worth noting more than copper scrap - doesn't even matter if only 5 were minted - I've been using a dremel tool with the buffing wheel attachment and Mother's Mag Wheel cleaner with some luck, takes 5 or 6 applications but been pulling dates and details off of most LC's

Upvote 0
I've used the Andre's pencils. After years or cleaning them, they work best, but once pitted like this one (and identical to one I got the other day), it's almost hopeless.

Upvote 0
I can't see much of anything. Best of luck getting an ID, it definitely looks like a coin.

I've had very little luck identifying coppers that are heavily pitted like that.

Upvote 0
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1524182935.535442.jpg
Dug these two yesterday double large roundness in one hole. Was able to get 1817 on one but zip for date on the other. Only about 60% seem to have readable dates.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back