Slave tag

DoranHashemi

Mar 12, 2013
Savannah, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old man showed us this. I almost fainted. Looks like a slave tag. He said it was. He's been detecting for 30 years and found this in South Carolina Any experts? image.jpg

Ray,I should have added in my initial reply to you a "Thank you",I respect your opinion.I am me,though,and will not apologize for searching out truth.That is owed to anybody on here that asks.I was not wanting to re hash a certain members actions on here but now feel I must since you are calling me out......if you read back,and think for one second that Hutsite is being truthful above...you my friend are Naive.He blatantly put up false info,then turned around and miserably failed at covering tracks.This is not the first time he has done this and it have peaved more than one member on here...if you ask me that is a bald face Lie,and I dont about yopu but I cant stand a liar.
I have been a member on this site for a very long time and I think have contributed in a very positive way,and learned a lot as well.I care about this site(I am a paying member for that reason)I will not stand by and let this #1 spot on the net be taken down the Fairyland trail that all other sites "Whats it sections "are.....a joke!

I hear ya and agree, no room on this site for liars. For me its not showing off but learning and loving all about finds and history. I may feel someone is untruthful about finds and answers sometimes but lowering my standards and the way i react by my actions will only put me on there level. As for me I guess I put a little more scrutiny on the older members replys and actions as to how this site is and how our hobby is represented to new members. And I do realize because of you older members we do have this site to learn on, I think we understand each others replys and the reasons for our responses. That being said thanks for all your contributions to our hobby. HH.

Upvote 0
The November 2000 E&W Treasures Mark Parker states, on page 10/11 that "all genuine slave tags documented thus far are from either Charleston or Charleston Neck, SC." " ... Fairly plain in design". He goes on to tell his reader that he should, if serious about learning more about his tag, (which turned out to be a fantasy piece) SLAVE TAGS or SLAVE HIRE BADGES for around $25. from World Exonumia. (Exonumia:Tokens, medals, badges, fraternal, World Fair, MORE!)
I'm not sure if the website is still accurate, but thats what the article states. GL and HH.

Upvote 0
Doranhashemi wrote:
> Cannonballguy might know about this? Not sure cause its not artillery or buttons.

Doran, please pardon the delay in replying to your comment. I was out-of-town and offline due to attending the annual Mansfield Ohio civil war relic show... and at my age, I need about two days of extra sleep to recuperate my weary brain for doing "detailed" posts.

Although my specialty zones in relics are artillery and small-arms projectiles and buttons, as a nearly 40 year relic-dealer I've HAD to get well-educated about other categories of relics, to make sure I didn't buy-&-sell bogus ones. I know a lot about these genuine Slave Hire Tags because a friend of mine is a longtime Charleston SC area relic-digger who was found several dozen of the real ones. (There are many fakes -- some are scarily near-exact copies and some are ridiculously obvious fakes... see photo below.) He educated me about the history and exact form of the real ones and how to spot the well-done fakes. His "Number One" tip: if a so-called slave-tag is for sale on Ebay, do not buy it!

Part of my reason for replying here is to publicly compliment CC Hunter for participating in the discussion of this very rare genuine Slave Hire Tag with his excellent educational post on the subject.

I've sent PMs to him and several other TreasureNet members whom I know to be top-level experts in their particular specialty-zones of relics, requesting their participation in the What-Is-It forum. Due to their very valuable contributions of accurate knowledge to the forum, let me request that everybody here cut them some extra slack when they get frustrated by seeing so many posts of wildly ill-founded declarations that an as-yet-unidentified object is a civil war military relic. (A declaration is not phrased as a guess, but instead, as a statement of fact.)

CC Hunter, Kuger, and Creskol, thank you very much for your unpaid "community service" work in this forum.

Upvote 0
Ray,I should have added in my initial reply to you a "Thank you",I respect your opinion.I am me,though,and will not apologize for searching out truth.That is owed to anybody on here that asks.I was not wanting to re hash a certain members actions on here but now feel I must since you are calling me out......if you read back,and think for one second that Hutsite is being truthful above...you my friend are Naive.He blatantly put up false info,then turned around and miserably failed at covering tracks.This is not the first time he has done this and it have peaved more than one member on here...if you ask me that is a bald face Lie,and I dont about yopu but I cant stand a liar.
I have been a member on this site for a very long time and I think have contributed in a very positive way,and learned a lot as well.I care about this site(I am a paying member for that reason)I will not stand by and let this #1 spot on the net be taken down the Fairyland trail that all other sites "Whats it sections "are.....a joke!
The "Great and Powerful 'OZ" has spoken!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have come to realize since being on here, and you guys know that ive gotten upset a few times with you, that you each have your own personality. Some are patient (cannonballguy) some get frustrated a little quicker than others (Kuger, creskol). But let me tell you guys something.....thats their personalities. Respect is always demanded here but we have to understand that these "long timers" have seen alot and I now agree with kuger on keeping this the best site for id's. So Kuger, Creskol, BigCypress, Cannonballguy, Nhbenz, and the rest of the "oldies but goodies" keep it up and kick @#$ when needed. Thats all I got to say about that!!!

Upvote 0
from the book i posted a few pgs back
the badge laws a summary,1670-1886 pg 15 thru 21 good read,it gives a plausible explanation
as to why few badges/tags are found, only slaves from charles town and the neck of sc were able
to get the badges,and only 2 slaves to an owner because,the whites in the lower paying jobs said
the slaves are putting them out of work,and there were several more restrictions
it mentioned other cities like NO,having the same type of hire out system, but not sure the other
cities used the badge system
JMO prob most of the loose metals were grabbed up for the reconstruction too
dropdown for paging dosent work you have to scroll the pgs,the link is in preview mode
Slave Badges and the Slave Hire System in Charleston, South Carolina: 1783 ... - Harlan Greene, Harry S. Hutchins, Jr. - Google Books

Upvote 0
Haters' gonna Hate! Maybe he's having problems at home.:laughing7:

Upvote 0
I mean it is all good just really annoying when you read members like Kuger and Creskol breathing down your neck.. Kinda like the comment Creskol made in a post about my hands being so nice and clean.. I mean freaking creepy. Think i will just dodge the "What Is It" form for a-little while to be honest. Don't get me totally wrong though I still have respect for Kuger!

Nobody cares what I think... Lol, but I think you got Bullied on this thread .

Upvote 0
. Cant we all just get along ...Dig and share .Share a dig...was that my inside voice:dontknow:= I look up 2 u happy hunting people,=eddy

Upvote 0
The real deal Slave Tags are scarce as hen's teeth. I've only seen 2 real ones. Before I would buy one, I'd have to see it come out of some Charleston hard packed dirt.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Only bean ..here a couple mos. If its not sweet corn .I gotta see the the dirt =ED

Upvote 0
GREAT FINDS:thumbsup: Ya might wana ckeck your own diaper . We're here to save history .Lets not take away from it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now back to the original topic of "Slave Tags"!!!
(For those that seek squabbling entertainment, may we suggest tuning in to view any one of the numerous "Reality TV" programs!) :laughing7:

Regarding the CHARLESTON MECHANIC 1823 slave hire badge (tag) at the beginning of this topic, I called and spoke this evening with one of my close personal friends and a respected relic hunter that resides in Charleston SC. Among his collection of excavated artifacts, is an 1823 dated CHARLESTON SERVANT slave hire badge, with the LAFAR punch mark on the obverse (front), directly below the year date. My friend related that all known 1823 slave hire badges have the mark of Charleston silversmith J.J. Lafar on the obverse side. Considering that other years that have the maker's mark are often punched on the back side rather, these with the mark on the front are highly desired by collectors as this feature displays well.

1811 was in fact the first year that John Joseph Lafar produced the stamped copper sheet badges, for the city of Charleston SC. One of my personal recoveries is one of the very attractive and highly unusual shaped 1811 Charleston Slave Hire Badges, made by silversmith J.J. Lafar. This particular badge has the license number hand engraved in jeweler style script, rather than simply punched with a number die. The unique shape of 1811 dated slave hire badges, is seen in this one year only. This particular year demands a hefty premium among collectors, even for what is usually a more common occupation such as SERVANT.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• 1811Servant.jpg
    1811Servant.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
There is so much irony in white men ( I'm taking a leap here, but I think black men would be talking differently about these tags), congratulating one another on finding these tags and discussing their value. It is part of our history, an ugly part of it, the ugliest actually... Money shouldn't be made off a piece of human suffering. Donating them to a museum would be the the respectable thing.

Upvote 0
Why do some people feel the need to get involved in every fracas that doesn't even involve them? Enquiring minds and all.

Upvote 0
There is so much irony in white men ( I'm taking a leap here, but I think black men would be talking differently about these tags), congratulating one another on finding these tags and discussing their value. It is part of our history, an ugly part of it, the ugliest actually... Money shouldn't be made off a piece of human suffering. Donating them to a museum would be the the respectable thing.

Don't kid yourself. Look up "black memorabilia" or "black Americana" on the internet. It is a HUGE business. It IS about history, to be sure. And ugly or not it is still history. But people like Oprah, Spike Lee, Bill Cosby, Whoopi Goldberg, and Billy Dee Williams also collect because this stuff is worth BIG $$$$.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
ok people please keep this post on track or make a new one to attack each other , there is a TON of great expertise in this thread and this poster deserves to have it on topic.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back