diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ring over the weekend up in/near avon park/sebring area in the yard of a house that dates to around 1910 which is old for south central florida standards.Inside is marked 1847 rogers bros. (It's not from 1847 that's just the makers mark I believe)next to that it says triple,maybe short for triple plate?You can see plier marks inside the ring where it was held to bend I guess.I call it a spoon ring but it could just as easily have come from a fork or knife I reckon.I can't tell if it's plated or not.There are several deep grooves or dings in it but it looks solid through and through.I also found 2 wheaties-41 and 25,1-54 silver dime and .27 in clad.Also found was a piece of wrought iron,which looks like a broken drill bit,however the top portion where it would have been broken at is mushroomed as if somebody had been hitting it with a hammer.Don't really know for sure what it is.Last but not least is a piece of unidentifiable metal slag :-\i'm not sure,I will post pics of it in "What is it?"So overall it was a pretty good weekend.Oh yeah,my best find this weekend was a CSA stamped bowie knife that I got at a flea market in Lake Placid on the way to my friends house in/around avon park/sebring.I got it for $25.00.I'll post a pic of it in "everything else"under freetodetect's thread "yard sale treasures".Thanks for looking,H.H.-diggummup

Attachments

• spoonring-1.jpg
    spoonring-1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 317
  • spoonring-2.jpg
    spoonring-2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 317
  • notadrillbit.jpg
    notadrillbit.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0
Back in the late sixties I used to shop at the thrift stores for old silverware and make rings out of the tops. Only I used a rawhide mallet to form mine. Great find tho. and yes it does look like an old drill bit.

That's a "spoon ring"

Rogers is the silverware maker.

Nice find.

HH

Lonewolfe

That old bit was probably twisted off. When twisted in two the shank tends to form a mushroom shape. Nice ring, looks like sterling.

Yep........thats a spoon ring. A spoon ring was my first silver ring find. Found it at an old homesite on a night hunt.......

yes I had permission and I had to go at night cause I was working long hours and it was in the winter time so it was dark when I went in and dark when I got off so I HAD to go at night....whewwww!!! ;D ::)

Anyway.....Nice ring diggummup

Heres a pic of mine......

index.php

Cool! I forgot about spoon rings. Seems they were big when I was in junior high or somewhere in that period ... just before the Ice Age.

Kent

Nice finds....Hey Zeke... Is that a locket?.... does it open up?....anything inside?.....

mtl-huntr said:
Nice finds....Hey Zeke... Is that a locket?.... does it open up?....anything inside?.....

Yeah its a locket mtl-huntr.

It opens but there was nothing inside but mud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back