186.9 KB · Views: 218
  • chain4.JPG
    chain4.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 229
  • chain5.JPG
    chain5.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 22
I just love finding squashed pennies! Silver is pretty good too.

I just love finding squashed pennies! Silver is pretty good too.

Anybody know when the practice began, of flattening, then stamping something on the coin,,,??

Nice finds! I love the squashed penny too!

Anybody know when the practice began, of flattening, then stamping something on the coin,,,??

Much earlier than I would ever have guessed. Per Wikipedia they were first created at the Worlds Columbia’s Exposition, held in 1893 in Chicago.

Great finds !

"Elongated Pennies" were made in machines that were often seen at older Fair's and Carnivals.
They still make these machines but there no so common these days.

unnamed.jpg

Much earlier than I would ever have guessed. Per Wikipedia they were first created at the Worlds Columbia’s Exposition, held in 1893 in Chicago.

Great finds !

"Elongated Pennies" were made in machines that were often seen at older Fair's and Carnivals.
They still make these machines but there no so common these days.

Nice finds @caretaker.

Yes, the 1893 Exposition is regarded as the first commercial ‘souvenir’ production for the public at large but there are examples alleged to be earlier, with some claiming they date back to around 1818.

At the 1893 Exposition, you paid a nickel to watch your coin being hand-cranked through the rollers of a modified jeweller’s mill. Enclosed ‘vending’ machines where you put your payment in one slot, your coin to be modified in another, and operated the crank yourself, came later.

I don’t know how up to date these websites are kept, but you can see if there’s a machine in your area from the website below (ignore the message to create an account unless you want to use the more advanced features beyond the map):

https://pennypresses.net/#map

There’s another (unrelated) site that lists UK locations:

England

flattened pennies are one of my favorites, love the silver too. nice hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back