Silver quarter and a lead seal from campus (ID help needed)

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 on campus today. It was a nice sunny day that started in the high 50s and ended in the low 80s. I was working a grid on a sports field that has yielded a couple of large cents and some civil war items and I was hoping for more of the same.

I ended with 40 coins with a face value of $2.79, a lead seal, a silver quarter, a Sears key, some can slaw and a large handful of can tabs. Digging tabs kept me busy going up and down with the hope of a bullet or a button that did not show up.

8E174FA3-9A6D-49FD-BA35-0D65C8C49F53.jpeg

The quarter is a 1944 S. It has a nice even tarnish on it that told me right away it was silver. The ground it was in must stay damp for it to tarnish like that. In the normal ground around here the silver coins come out clean unless these is moisture in the soil.

49D72742-F34A-48C5-921D-733D54814380.jpeg

The lead seal is a mystery. It is beat up enough that I can’t be sure of the writing. You can see that it had a wire in it so it could be for almost anything, really old or not so old. Since I find things from the 1800s up through the 1950s on this field as well as recent coins and jewelry One side looks like BIRIR, BIRIRI or BIRIK with a 6 pointed star above and below. If anyone who is familiar with lead seals recognizes this one and can help with identification any help would be welcome.

EF28CCE6-6922-4BE4-BB88-AE9BFEF3291C.jpegB9100373-3C61-46C0-A7EF-6B7282AD607E.jpeg

Another good hunt with another silver for the pile, a possible piece of history and good social distancing fresh air exercise for the old man. Life is good. Stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 5
toothbrush and dish soap to that seal would help a lot.

Your seal looks like a gas meter seal or electrical meter seal.

Your seal looks like a gas meter seal or electrical meter seal.

That’s definitely a possibility. I’m hoping for better, but you get what’s in the hole. Thanks, stay safe and keep swingin.

Try and do a rubbing of the seal on both sides to make out the lettering better.Or do an imprint in some clay.Maybe it will bring out more detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back