Attachments

• SI or AL 2.jpg
    SI or AL 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3,846
  • SI or AL.jpg
    SI or AL.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,427
Sleeplessnights said:
:'( I keep finding them and finding them but what in the....is it ? It can't be lead to light but I find so many of them can anybody help me out with this and has any one found a piece like this ? I did get it to shine after alot of hard work !

Don't spend any more sleeplessnights worrying about this. Go to a chemical supply, and buy Nitric Acid and Potassium Dichromate crystals. Pour nitric Acid and some distilled water in a separate glass container... Add a good pinch of Potassium Dichromate...Mix... Put a drop on the material. Check the color charts posted earlier. This works GREAT in identification of unknown metals! If it turns a pretty red or red/brown it is silver. ;D If it turns yellow it is lead. Let us know the results or if you have any problem.

Attachments

• MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 652
Upvote 0
Take my word for it, not silver. Is most likely aluminum. Was in the scrap business for 30 years and have handled many pounds of melted silver and that is not what it looks like. Way too shiney. HH

AK in KY

Upvote 0
Forgot a few things. Melted Sheet aluminum such as a can will weigh much less than Melted cast aluminum. Cast aluminum has other elemants in its makeup that are heavier than aluminum. Hope this helps. HH

AK in KY

Upvote 0
Any ideas on how a layperson can tell the difference between a chunk of Aluminum or Silver?

Found this piece on the beach today...

Have I found a beer can that got too close to a fire or a Spanish silver nugget?

Bismuth?

Upvote 0
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 'metal test kits' available for about $15. I got mine on Epay with free shipping.
a number of bottled solutions test for presence of silver & plat, and a bunch for different karat gold.
rub your metal on the included stone, place a drop of solution, and you got your answer.
I use mine often and have been rewarded with two blobs of melted 14k, a total of 17 grams :laughing7:.
after being melted when the house burned, then buried for a century or two, they sure didn't look like gold
til I filed and tested them.
Now I test everything that's not too light, reads correctly, and isn't too soft.
Probably the best $15 I ever spent. HH all :hello:

Upvote 0
I find these too. Seems to come from melted aluminum if I had to guess.

Attachments

• image-2772325858.jpg
    image-2772325858.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back