Silver mine ghost town relics ID help

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Got a chance to hunt an 1870's silver mine ghost town and besides the huge amount of square nails and metal trash everywhere I found these items. The large metal disc is about 12"in diameter and smashed flat. It is made of copper and has small metal hangers or hooks riveted to it in three places on the back. It has or had a raised center "knob" that is reed edged like a coin but very fine. Is this a lantern top? There were several of these strewn about the area.
Also the U shaped piece in the 2nd picture to the right of the bullet cases and clock part, is iron and looks vaguely familiar, like I've seen it posted on here before but can't remember. Maybe not..

Any ideas? 20160626_162049.jpg20160626_163510.jpg

Last edited:
Pic #1 looks like an early wheel cover (hubcap). Can we see the other side?

Upvote 0
Thanks for that but it actually is a New Rival No 12 , 1901 shotgun shell with a nail stuck in the primer. They used to de-primer shell's when reloading using a nail. This one evidently got stuck and discarded. If you click on the picture and click on it again it will bring it up vary large. You van clearly see all the details including the shotgun head stamp.
I am sure the other thing is not a hubcap as it is made of copper and has small hooks on the back. I will try to post a picture of the back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for that but it actually is a New Rival No 12 , 1901 shotgun shell with a nail stuck in the primer. They used to de-primer shell's when reloading using a nail. This one evidently got stuck and discarded. If you click on the picture and click on it again it will bring it up vary large. You van clearly see all the details including the shotgun head stamp.
I am sure the other thing is not a hubcap as it is made of copper and has small hooks on the back. I will try to post a picture of the back.

I saw the nail when I enlarged the pic. Good pics, BTW...

The Thomas Hughes porcelain bit is 1860 - 1876. Possibly from an ironstone chamber pot.

chamber_mk.jpg

Upvote 0
Ahhh Very good id thank you! The whole area is strewn with pottery pieces and broken bottles. I searched everywhere but no unbroken pieces anywhere.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back