Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to slip out for 4 hours today. I went back to the honey hole for a little coin shooting.

I dug 76 coins, ten of which were wheaties, and one Canadian.

B616D1C9-248C-4876-BE16-30B1BA241158.jpegAA57C706-299C-4B89-BE0C-71044739F693.jpeg

Here are the silver coins in the dirt.

5FEAF5DF-5881-415D-8D7F-5E56737D296B.jpeg7AB67784-33FD-443B-A13D-92431C592E9C.jpeg

I got a 1950 Rosie and a beat 192X Mercury dime. Ordinarily, that would be the highlight, however today, I stumbled upon a white 31.7 gram piece of lead. Turns out it’s a CW era, Enfield bullet!

A5B90B81-92E0-40BC-A2E5-793C686C77CC.jpeg

I’m really excited about this find. It still has some of the wooden plug in it. I know this because I tried to clean it out with a little knife! Oops.

883EBA9A-B75C-4A64-8397-0E8570B67B3C.jpeg07AE6CF6-27A0-42A9-9D40-3F3268492411.jpeg

Thanks for looking and best to you during the holidays.

YTD silver coins: 80

EDIT: CannonBallGuy said the following.

“... it is definitely a fired civil war era Enfield Minie-bullet. More specifically, it is a .577-caliber bullet, made for use in the British Model-P1853 Enfield Rifle. Also more specifically, the presence of a "plug cavity" in its base means it was manufactured in Britain (by a bullet-making machine press), and it traveled on a Blockade Runner through the yankee naval blockade to the Confederacy. If you found it in North Carolina is most probably arrived here at the port of Wilmington NC, protected by Fort Fisher.

The cork-shaped wooden plug in its base-cavity (which is why it is called a "plug cavity") was made of boxwood. Sometimes the boxwood plug survives nearly or completely intact, due to being almost surrounded by lead, which is toxic to the bacteria which normally would eat wood left laying on the ground. It might shrink a bit as it dries, and fall out. If it does, look to see if there is a number or letter mark in the flat bottom of the base-cavity. The most common Enfield minie base-mark is "57" (for the caliber), but there are also letters, and combinations, such as L, L1, L2, P, and others...”

Last edited:
Upvote 21
Congrats on the silver and the enfield bullet! Well done! Happy Holidays!!

congrats on the finds! I found a enfield with 57 in it.

congrats on the finds! I found a enfield with 57 in it.

Thanks CD. It is the first CW era bullet I’ve found, and I’m excited. It just showed up, in a yard. Obviously it was there prior to the house being built.

Last edited:
Nice finds Tom, and congrats on your first Civil War era bullet.

Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Thanks CD. It is the first CW era bullet I’ve found, and I’m excited. It just showed up, in a yard. Obviously it was there prior to the house being built.

might be a button there too!

Congrats on your 1st CW find Tom and more silvers for the year. :occasion14: That place is loaded with goodies.

Hoping you are having a great Christmas. :icon_santa:

Man more killer finds that is one heck of a honey hole you have there! Congratulations and merry Christmas

I was able to slip out for 4 hours today. I went back to the honey hole for a little coin shooting.

I dug 76 coins, ten of which were wheaties, and one Canadian.

View attachment 1529922View attachment 1529923

Here are the silver coins in the dirt.

View attachment 1529924View attachment 1529925

I got a 1950 Rosie and a beat 192X Mercury dime. Ordinarily, that would be the highlight, however today, I stumbled upon a white 31.7 gram piece of lead. Turns out it’s a CW era, Enfield bullet!

View attachment 1529926

I’m really excited about this find. It still has some of the wooden plug in it. I know this because I tried to clean it out with a little knife! Oops.

View attachment 1529929View attachment 1529930

Thanks for looking and best to you during the holidays.

YTD silver coins: 80

EDIT: CannonBallGuy said the following.

“... it is definitely a fired civil war era Enfield Minie-bullet. More specifically, it is a .577-caliber bullet, made for use in the British Model-P1853 Enfield Rifle. Also more specifically, the presence of a "plug cavity" in its base means it was manufactured in Britain (by a bullet-making machine press), and it traveled on a Blockade Runner through the yankee naval blockade to the Confederacy. If you found it in North Carolina is most probably arrived here at the port of Wilmington NC, protected by Fort Fisher.

The cork-shaped wooden plug in its base-cavity (which is why it is called a "plug cavity") was made of boxwood. Sometimes the boxwood plug survives nearly or completely intact, due to being almost surrounded by lead, which is toxic to the bacteria which normally would eat wood left laying on the ground. It might shrink a bit as it dries, and fall out. If it does, look to see if there is a number or letter mark in the flat bottom of the base-cavity. The most common Enfield minie base-mark is "57" (for the caliber), but there are also letters, and combinations, such as L, L1, L2, P, and others...”

Killer information and find. There’s a lot of history surrounding that bullet.

Nice score on the silver and the bullet!!

Merry Christmas to you Tom. A Big Congrats on your first CW bullet and the little history that comes with it. You have got to smiling from ear to ear. Plus you're still finding the silvers. SD

Sweet recovery on that super cool old white patina lead bullet. There's a relic hunter in you somewhere mate!;D Congrats on hitting 80 too my silver sucking friend!:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back