Silver coloured button with Eagle (?)

bigjerryok

Sep 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on this one? Say Murphy Dublin on the back, and something "court" which is part of the address. The pic doesn't show it well but the button / badge is silver coloured, and it looks like an eagle - or maybe a griffin?
JG Eagle.jpg

Hoeys Court, Dublin perhaps? Seeing the back may help date it, for the sake of seeing the construction of it.

Upvote 0
Thanks - the back is pretty degraded and won't photograph well, but I think Hoeys's Court might be right - my picture doesn't show the colour very well, but the silver colour of the front of the badge / button is quite well preserved and strong, although I don't think it's silver.

Upvote 0
Welcome bigjerryok. Will really help it you put something to reference size. A set of calipers is a great investment as you try to get an ID's on your finds and aren't very expensive. Read the stickies in the "what is it" section and it will help. Hope to see many more posts. Sorry I can't help on the ID

Upvote 0
It's definitely an eagle. Is there lettering at the bottom of the button? I enlarged and lightened your photo, hope you don't mind.

Attachments

• JG Eagle 1.jpg
    JG Eagle 1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
If there is lettering I can't see it. The badge is an inch across.

Upvote 0
That is one cool button,can't wait for you to get an ID on it. Where do you hail from bigjerry? Welcome to Treasurenet.

Upvote 0
At first glance, the spread-winged eagle makes your button resemble an American military button... or a US Government Official & Diplomatic Service button. (See the Albert book's "OD" section.) But in actuality, it is a Livery button. Note that the eagle is NOT holding an olive branch or arrows in its talons, doesn't have a Federal Shield, nor stars around it. It is "just" an eagle (or similar bird)... and it is displayed above a Torse, which is a symbol frequently seen on Livery buttons. A Torse is a spiral-bodied wreath seen laying HORIZONTALLY below the main emblem. (In other words, it is a "side-view" of a wreath.) A Torse is not "the ground" under the main emblem, or in this case, the eagle. The photos below show Livery buttons which have a Torse under the main emblem.

For anybody here who doesn't already know:
Livery buttons were primarily European, and they showed the Family Crest of a Nobility (or merely wealthy) family. They were made for use on the uniforms of the family's household servants, such as butlers and coachmen. Livery buttons date from at least the 1700s and are still in use today.

Attachments

• button_Livery-button_arrows-crest-with-torse__n8i5.jpg
    button_Livery-button_arrows-crest-with-torse__n8i5.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 73
  • button_livery-button_British-lion-crowned-on-torse__11nc.jpg
    button_livery-button_British-lion-crowned-on-torse__11nc.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brilliant - thanks, I will do some more research based on your info, cannonballguy. Based in Ireland.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back