Silver Cache found

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
Below is a photo of a nice silver cache of 10 Morgan Silver Dollars, 43 Barber Halves, 9 Barber Quarters and 1 1973 Washington Quarter. I am not too sure that the 1973 Quarter was actually part of the original cache. All the silver coins are dated 1904 and older. Most have the "O" mint mark from New Orleans.

The location was near a spring in Florida so the 1973 Quarter could have been lost the the near proximity of the silver cache. The spring has been used as a swimming hole since about 1840. These coins are pretty well beat up as you can see. I am currently using electrolysis to clean them up. It's going to take a while to do 63 coins one at a time.

I built my electrolysis method from info at http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm

It works great so far.

Attachments

• Morgans, Barber Halves and Quarters.JPG
    Morgans, Barber Halves and Quarters.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 6,353
HUGE HUGE CONGRATS, wow what a find, I would of been one happy camper indeed to come across a load of coins that old. Yeah the quarter was probably just a fluke.

Nice cache find. I hope you repost them after cleaning.

Nice Nice cache...

Yes!  Details!  And I'd love to see some close-ups of the coins.  That'd be AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

By the way, go VERY SLOWLY on the electrolysis! The slower the better in terms of amperage.

Regards,

Buckleboy

This cache was actually found by a bulldozer operator when land was being cleared near a spring. This was about 6 years ago. The cache is in my possession to clean and determine if there is any value to the coins. The current owner, who was not the finder, gave me permission to post a picture on Tnet to show that caches DO exist and can be found just about anywhere.

They were apparently in a cloth bag as some of the coins have the impression of cloth in the oxidation. Some of the halves were/are stuck together. I hope that the electrolysis will separate them.

These coins are really eat up. I have found 300 year old 8 reales on shipwrecks and they are in better shape than these coins. Even the 1973 coin I mentioned earlier is so corroded that I can just barely read the date.

I will post pictures after I clean them up.

How many times have we heard of construction workers unearthing a cache or caches falling out of the walls of a house being demolished?

I once had an old house demolished and I had to sign a contract that gave the demolition company all items found in the house. I asked the dozer operator if that clause was in there because of caches being found and he said yes.

They are out there. Keep looking.

TreasureTales said:
Real de Tayopa said:
Congrats, but unfortunately you are now irretrievably hooked, like females. But leave TT alone, she is mine, once she forgets that sea going Don Jaun.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hmmm, do I want "that sea going Don Juan" or that Don (Juan) Jose de La Mancha or a guy who finds a cache? DUH! The cache guy! That was too easy. :wink:

Maxine,

I defer to the expert...does electrolysis get all the hairs off of the chin :tongue3:

TreasureTales said:
:violent1: Stefen, the hair on my chin isn't the problem, the hair on my back is. Next question.

The problem in today's society is that too few men have any hair on their a--es. Metro-males; baa-humbug. >:( There's too many Arlos and not enough Crankshafts.

And, by the way, ToyMan; congrats to you friend on the find. If I might offer a suggestion, try soaking those sticky coins in a mild acidic solution, such as straight vinegar and see if that with eat away the stuff that's covering the coins without hurting the coins. Be very careful with the electrolysis. If any of the coins are truly valuable, that technique may hurt the value. Once you can read the dates and mint marks, STOP the electrolysis if the coin is valuable. Collectors, generally speaking, would rather have an intact, original that's readable than a shiny polished "found' coin. ( unless of course it's a proof or AU grade ). Take your time. Too much cleaning can be worse than not enough when you're cleaning a collectible coin. Just my never humble opinion. :)

TreasureTales said:
:violent1: Stefen, the hair on my chin isn't the problem, the hair on my back is. Next question.

Attachments

• Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 5,270
  • Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 5,275
Nice find! And thanks for the cleaning tip! Good luck on more silver dollar finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back