Silver....but not what I had expected......

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....trying to catch up on backlogged finds for the last 2 weeks, bare with me please. I will be highlighting some of the better finds because, well, I find posting a million pictures of pulltabs and rust chunks to be boring and time consuming. And since I have been out pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks and have had some great finds I figure you all much rather see them. To start off I have some pictures of a nice knife found at the bottle dump that BEZJO and I frequent.....he found a matching sugar spoon as well...and yes it says "STERLING 925FINE" "COPYRIGHT1904"

Attachments

• knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,114
  • knife3.jpg
    knife3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • knife4.jpg
    knife4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,096
Upvote 0
Sweet silver butter knife.
Did you expect a fork? j/k

ChrisP

Nice silver knife but where is all the pulltabs and rust chunks....JK.

NJ

Nah, I didnt expect to find any silver in this particular bottle dump, if anything maybe some rosies or mercury dimes. I have scavenged through it many times and the most I ever found was silver plate. And I just got back from another trip and I found 3 more sterling spoons, trying to clean them up right now........I'm really starting to like this spot!!!!

Wow ! Who throw out silver in to a dump ! Nice recovery !! MaineRelic .

:o Sterling knifes are hard to find !! :notworthy: Most are sterling handle with steel blades.... :dontknow:

Awesome silver find !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

here is some more stuff we pulled out

Attachments

• DSCN0449.JPG
    DSCN0449.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 795
More spoons from today, once again a matching trio. They clean up nice with a good vinegar bath and then baking soda scrub. The rust comes off for the most part eventually, with the exception of a spot here or there, after hours of scrubbing and soaking haha.

Attachments

• spoons1.jpg
    spoons1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 752
  • spoons2.jpg
    spoons2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 772
Great finds!! Did that one jar have the coins in it already? If so what are they and how old. Looks like a good spot. HH

You have an Unger Brothers Master Butter Knife. UB makers Monogram. Nice Art Nouveau pattern.
"A master butter (wtf) knife is a sharp-pointed, dull edged knife, often with a sabre shape,
used only to serve out pats of butter from a central butter dish to individual diners' plates."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_knife

Unger Brothers silver, Newark, NJ. Highly regarded silver house in their day. Sought after now.
A lot of their silver listed on ebay & it looks like everything sells.
http://www.americanhatpinsociety.com/article/unger.html

Example of Master Butter below.

Attachments

• master butter 1.jpg
    master butter 1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 613
nice silver spoons n knife :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

I would proudly use that knife to open all my rejection letters from Penthouse magazine, as well as the never-ending stream of "final notice" paperwork that gets sent to me. Nice day!
Carl

Yea we borrowed my friends Encyclopedia of American Silversmiths book and found the hallmark and subsequent history. Was very interesting and cool reading up on all of the brothers and the history that went into this family owned business. The pattern is called "LA FLEURETTE". And thank you all for the views and support...it keeps BEZJO and I going! Good luck all and happy hunting!

I liked these finds so much I have to reply again !! :icon_thumleft:

That knife is outstanding and the spoons are great too. :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

No the coins were not in the jar, I dropped them in there after taking pictures to post on my facebook page.

Sure ill take some pictures right now to post up here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back