Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends!

I hit a couple of my local colonial haunts this week, which have definitely been picked over hard by MANY detectorists over the years, but I still managed to scratch out a few decent finds. Today was a special occasion, too: I found my first regimental button!

Since today was the only day on the forecast this week that was on the cooler side, I decided to pound one of the really grueling spots I detect on occasion: an old British infantry camp circa 1758-1777 perched on some rugged sloping terrain, which has produced some decent finds in the past, provided you're ready to work. Today I decided to hunt super slow and really attempt to work a grid (not easy considering the landscape) and it really paid off. This "hunted out" site keeps giving!

The highlight of the day was when I hit a relatively strong signal about 7 inches down (everything here is deep -- about 6.5 to 8 inches on average). The target was between two trees -- a perfect spot that less meticulous hunters might overlook. I got excited as I started to dig, then felt a little deflated when I retrieved what looked at first to be a crumpled bit of tin. However on closer inspection I realized it was the silver front to a bone-backed regimental button! At home I carefully unfolded the metal, revealing a perfectly beautiful "29" for the 29th Regiment!

I also retrieved a couple of musket balls, some small lead shot, a plain button, lead scrap, rosette nails and some other miscellaneous items. The butterfly hinge was found this week at another British camp circa 1758 about a half mile from where I found the button today.

This is why you never give up on a "hunted out" spot!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• IMG_7192 SM.jpg
    IMG_7192 SM.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7193 SM.jpg
    IMG_7193 SM.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 1
Excellent finds! Every time I unfold crumpled metal it says "Sprite" or "Coke"!! :laughing7:

Happy Hunting!

That's exactly what you have! A Rev War British officer button is a pretty darn good find.

Big Congrats , it's a beauty :occasion14: I thought those hinges were 19 th century .. :icon_scratch: still a nice dig We!l Done

CMD dawg

Congratulations! With the White's detector too! The DFX is in my opinion one of the best machines out there...Hands down WTG

Thanks! And I have to agree with you: The DFX is a great machine. I used an XLT before that, so I've been a White's guy for nearly a decade....

Very nice find! It's a shame they didn't make those buttons out of solid cast silver.

Very nice find! It's a shame they didn't make those buttons out of solid cast silver.

I know! Can you imagine! Those would've been incredible. The upside though, is they would've already been found in some of these spots. The place where I found this button has been picked over pretty clean.

Congratulations! With the White's detector too! The DFX is in my opinion one of the best machines out there...Hands down WTG

Maybe time to try a Deus.

The button is a great find, & not one I have seen posted & never had a silver version myself (other than plated versions)!

Simply Amazing just to think who wore that button is what drives us all to keep digging!!!! Nice Find!!:hello2:

Maybe time to try a Deus.

The button is a great find, & not one I have seen posted & never had a silver version myself (other than plated versions)!

Thanks Crusader! Now if only I had a machine that could find the bone backing! :laughing7:

How do you like the Deus?

Simply Amazing just to think who wore that button is what drives us all to keep digging!!!! Nice Find!!:hello2:

Thanks Donny. My guess is it belonged to an officer of the 29th who served with Gen. Burgoyne during the 1777 Saratoga campaign.

After retaking Fort Ticonderoga the British swept down to southern Lake George, where this was found, then on to Fort Edward and finally Saratoga, where they were finally stopped. The area in Lake George where this was recovered has been occupied by numerous armies on multiple campaigns between 1755-1777, so it's likely that Burgoyne's forces spent time in this particular spot, too.

Before excavations started in the area in the 1950s, the place must've been a relic hunter's dream. I know for a fact that the area where the button was found has been heavily hunted over the years, but items still keep popping up. Last year I recovered a 1-pound cannonball from a swivel gun in the same vicinity.

Attachments

• Ball1 SM.jpg
    Ball1 SM.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 84

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back