Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? My wife's elderly aunt was digging in her garden and found this ring. She or her husbands family have lived in her house since 1904. To her knowledge none of them have served in the military.
The house is located in upstate NY in Monticello. Which is a town founded in the early 1800's.

The ring is silver (see Pics). One side is crossed muzzel loading cannons with the letters USA between them and the others side is crossed musket rifles with USA between them. It says "sterling" inside.

My aunt thought civil war but I thought WWII because of the "sterling" designation. Does anyone have an idea?

She let us hunt the property with our metal detectors and we found some wheaties, rosies and assorted relics. That will be another post though.

Thanks for your help - TE

Attachments

• USA Ring 004.jpg
    USA Ring 004.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 338
  • USA Ring 001.jpg
    USA Ring 001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 360
  • USA Ring 002.jpg
    USA Ring 002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 349
Strange top design. From construction and design, it could be as early as ww-1 but I tend to think early WW-2. **With the sterling stamped in the ring I am going with WW-2. ** It is not a 1800 style ring.
DG

Upvote 0
DG, Thanks for the reply.

I believe it was an 'economy' ring in that the top is faceted silver and if it were polished it would give the illusion of a stone but without the cost.

It's funny to me that when I see something from WWII I don't see it as 'old'. But as I look back if something was 65 years old, when I was young, it was damn near civil war era. People get excited about 'wheaties'; hell, I didn't know they changed the back of pennies until I started MDing. I thought they all were still with wheat.

What a great hobby. You get outside, meet great people, learn a lot about history, become a collector, be much more aware of your surroundings, and all for a inexpensive entry fee compared to other hobbies.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
DG

From your profile I see that you are a museum director in Alexandria LA. In 1967 I went through EC-47 Combat Crew Training there with the Air Commandos on England Air Force Base. It was summertime and hot and humid as hell. Alexandria is much improved now but back then I couldn't wait to get to my next assignment.

Upvote 0
Daydream said:
DG

From your profile I see that you are a museum director in Alexandria LA. In 1967 I went through EC-47 Combat Crew Training there with the Air Commandos on England Air Force Base. It was summertime and hot and humid as hell. Alexandria is much improved now but back then I couldn't wait to get to my next assignment.
This is NOT a place to be in the summer for sure. Even if you are a native to the area the humidity is hard to bear. Alexandria has changed a lot. The base is now a gigantic industrial park that has become a model for the U.S. in converting a former Gov. installation.
DG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back