Should have bought a lottery ticket today, Finally found an old Coin!

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Hey guys, I finally found an old coin.? It is a 1901 Barber dime, and I found it in a new park that I have been wanting to try out in my hometown that is adjacent to an elementary school.? I guarantee I will be back.? I did not think my hometown had the history in it to find a coin this old, but I guess I am wrong :o.? Surprisingly this is the only old coin I found in a couple of hours.? All of the letters in the liberty headband are visible, and I would say according to my redbook, it is a $60 coin.? I love the look of the old coins, and am very anxious to find some more.? I imagine whoever lost this in the early 1900's lost alot of money back then.? It is really hard to believe that the person that lost this is dead today.? I guess I just love the history of it? I also found a pen that looks like a big screw, a 22 caliber bullet, some buttons and a charm, and $1.30 in clad.? Anyways, hope you guys enjoy looking at it as much as I did finding it.? Happy Hunting everyone.

Loren Farrar
Founder http://www.easystopgiftshop.com

Attachments

• barber.jpg
    barber.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 542
  • cladday.jpg
    cladday.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 548
Upvote 0
lonewolfe said:
Free2Dtect said:
Was that the park we were at? Indian Heads can not be far behind! How deep was it? Later Pete

I agree with Pete, "IH's can't be far behind".

but one thing I notice from the pic above is -

all the metals you've found (except for the nickel) seem to be the type that are found while using moderate to higher discrimination,

IH's don't read like copper pennies, and you need to turn the disc. down to almost nothing to find them consistently (especially the older ones, and or the ones that have been buried a long time and or the deep ones).

a LOT of them will read in the iron/pulltab/gold range (or lower VDI's on mxt's - xlt's and dfx's). They also tend to jump in between iron, and copper and everything in between (the best you can do is, if you get a reading like that/this is to dig if it's strong & repeatable).

Use your instincts based on what you're hearing when looking for Indian heads, and do not rely on the VDI's and or visuals on screen so much!

Good luck, hit it hard,

HH

Lonewolfe

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom LW...I'm not getting much reading time on the site lately but your tips are highly appreciated by someone that's still trying to break the 1900 barrier.... & I mean BARRIER!!! Nice dime LMD. Hope that's just the tip of the iceberg for you ~CO2

Congrats on finding that first old coin..........can't wait to find my first one as well....... :)

GJ & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back