Shipwrecks in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any guys live in NC who might be interested in getting together to discuss shipwrecks off the coast here? I live in the Raleigh area, and I've got quite a bit of research I'm willing to share. Been on Tnet for over 20 years, and I'm getting old. I also have some great MD'ing spots to go to. PM me, if interested.

Any guys live in NC who might be interested in getting together to discuss shipwrecks off the coast here? I live in the Raleigh area, and I've got quite a bit of research I'm willing to share. Been on Tnet for over 20 years, and I'm getting old. I also have some great MD'ing spots to go to. PM me, if interested.

I am hearing you on the old bit.

Not quite in your back yard amigo. But still interested in shipwrecks and treasure al over the globe.

The El Salvador, was a Spanish Galleon that ran aground near Beaufort Inlet during a hurricane in August of 1750. The Spanish archives indicate that El Salvador was carrying 240,000 pesos in registered Spanish Treasury funds, made up of four chests of gold coins and sixteen chests of silver coins of varying denominations, plus 50,000 pesos in commercial funds After taking on supplies in Havana, Cuba, the El Salvador headed for Cadiz, Spain.

El Salvador from the Spanish plate 1750 fleet has been search for many years none have fully found it . There is a letter in existence to governor Gabriel Johnston detailing the shipwreck In 1750 ran aground near look out point and eventually went to paces and the remain buried in 7 or 8 feet of shifting sands. At the same time the Nuestra Señora De Soledad which went ashore near present-day core banks in 1750.

Archival documents confirm that most of the treasure aboard the other Spanish ships was salvaged but that El Salvador’s cargo of gold and silver was never recovered. During the storm she is believed to have rolled over the bar, broken apart and was soon buried in the sand.

All the above vessels are under permit and some are actually involved litigation in the courts El Salvador’s decision pending November 2024. Possible damages in the case could run from $15.6 million to $259.3 million.

The Steamship Pulaski disaster was the term given to the June 14, 1838, is another vessel worth searching for. But Alas there is an active permit on her. if it has not already been claimed in which i think it is being salvaged?

There is a WW2 passenger ship of interest. The Ulysses pictured below.

ulysses.jpg

She was allegedly carrying passengers and Pig iron. the ship had fled Hong Kong before the invasion. by one day then fled to Singapore fleeing again en route to England arriving in Australia then sailing to Panama carnal.

As the Ulysses steamed up the coast of Florida she was involved in a collision. On 8th April 1942 she collided with the Panamanian tanker Gold Heels causing a hole in her hull below the waterline and major damage to her bows. The ship had to slow down, which made her a target for German U-boats. On April 11th, her luck ran out and she was torpedoed by U-160 off the coast of Carolina. Three torpedoes hit the ship but she settled slowly providing enough time for the life boats to be lowered. Her 195 crew members, which included five gunners, and her 95 passengers, were picked up by an American destroyer, the USS Manley.

usna_177195.jpg

It is not known for sure but banks in Hong Kong fearing invasion would of dispatched gold and valuables back to UK. passenger ships of day had bullion rooms. Not only from banks in Hong Kong but in Singapore as Well. Gold was being transshipped from South Africa via Australia to the United states to pay for the war effort.

The shipwreck may turn out to be a multi million dollar shipwreck with a little more research.

Cheers Crow

All good targets, Crow. Thanks for sharing.

1) The theory is that the El Salvador is under the beach now. I have spoken with Alan Riebe, Rik Luytjes, David Moore (state archaeologist) and others. As shallow as she wrecked, I'm pretty sure the wreckers took care of her precious cargo a long time ago.
2)The Pulaski was permitted by Endurance Explorations and Blue Water Ventures a few years ago. I haven't heard of any recent activity.
3)The money it would take to salvage a steel wreck like the Ulysses at that depth is cost prohibitive for the average investor.

There are still viable targets in NC/SC/VA waters, though. But they are targets to find. It's the finding that's the hard part and, for me, the thrill of the chase.

Its my pleasure. i understand one needed the use the goldielocks principle finding wrecks that are viable for expense undertaken and achievable. with over 5000 shipwrecks you are spoiled for choice. But which ones is the money ticket?

2 other vessels may be of interest?

"Witchcraft?" 1861 April 8 Stranded at Chickamaconic, NC. Of the passenger and crew, 15 were killed in the wreck. She did regular run from Boston to San Francisco and back via cape horn. She was returning from San Francisco. So it is quite conceivable she might of being carrying gold to Boston?

Of course that is speculations as there as always need more confirmation through research of course.

Here is picture of clipper witchcraft below.

800px-Witchcraftclipper.jpg

Another vessel of interest. is the SS Ozama that sank in 1894. The vessel had been used in gun running and had close ties to Haiti
She was officially traveling in ballast, but because the death of Haiti's president was considered imminent the timing was certainly right for her again carrying guns and/or a significant quantity of money for either shoring up the existing regime, or for financing an insurrection. Such money would have needed to be in gold, not paper. Of course more research is required.

The wreck site was discovered in 40 feet of water off Cape Romain by underwater archaeologist Dr. E Lee Spence in 1979. Spence identified the wreck in June 2013 as the Ozama through the engine type, length, width, type of decking, and other construction details. But as far as I know no in depth search of the wreck has taken place. Spence trust inc and untitled gold explorations are intent on recovering safes on the vessel. So this one appears to be taken.

There are claims of unknown Spanish shipwrecks dating from 2nd of august 1795 at cape Hatteras? the folta des indus : The Spanish treasure fleet from 1566 to 1790 had all but ended. But money was still flowing. 1795 was year of Pickney treaty. Spain with US with access for Americans to Mississippi river and spin right of passage along the American coast. These alleged vessels that was lost could be great interest too

Cheers Crow

Reactions: ARC
Thanks Darren for the interesting topic.

I can see now why NC Coast is the ships grave yard of the Atlantic. Frying pan shoals, Diamond shoals, Cape look out shoals is like thee giant claws snagging unsuspecting ships to their doom and destruction. Any ships heading true north expecting to clear the coast would sail into them.

if you clear one you will run into other one miss that you got cape final pone. that combined with winds and tide and the gulf stream pushing you into them.

cape hatass.JPG

cape look out shoals.JPG

frying pan shoals 2.JPG

These three key areas would probably yield some spectacular undiscovered shipwrecks.

I think there is some very interesting opportunities still to be discovered.

Crow

Just an edit on witchcraft. see below its last voyage was from Callao to Virginia

witchcraft.,.JPG

Still fun fun hunting down ships and their cargos.

Crow

Thanks Darren for the interesting topic.

I can see now why NC Coast is the ships grave yard of the Atlantic. Frying pan shoals, Diamond shoals, Cape look out shoals is like thee giant claws snagging unsuspecting ships to their doom and destruction. Any ships heading true north expecting to clear the coast would sail into them.

if you clear one you will run into other one miss that you got cape final pone. that combined with winds and tide and the gulf stream pushing you into them.

View attachment 2160080

View attachment 2160081

View attachment 2160083

These three key areas would probably yield some spectacular undiscovered shipwrecks.

I think there is some very interesting opportunities still to be discovered.

Crow
These locations you posted pictures of look like that now... But were totally different in the past.

These locations you posted pictures of look like that now... But were totally different in the past.

Good point. They was probably very different back very as time and tide shift them. I think its called Longshore drift from longshore current is a geological process that consists of the transportation of sediments (clay, silt, pebbles, sand, shingle, shells) along a coast parallel to the shoreline, which is dependent on the angle of incoming wave direction.

Crow

Last edited:
  • Agree
Interesting to note the gulf stream is weakening that must affect the longshore drift in turn.

Crow

Wish I was closer it’s all way more fun hunting with someone. I’m in RI plenty to hunt both on and off the land . Been working on captain Kidds treasure got a few spots around to check . I’m away looking for someone to talk shipwrecks with . Just turned one in to the state offshore here Rhode Island is real tough with shipwrecks.

Wish I was closer it’s all way more fun hunting with someone. I’m in RI plenty to hunt both on and off the land . Been working on captain Kidds treasure got a few spots around to check . I’m away looking for someone to talk shipwrecks with . Just turned one in to the state offshore here Rhode Island is real tough with shipwrecks.
Kidd was friends with Captain Paine on Jamestown as you probably know.

Marconi Beach

Keg, how far is Hyannis, MA from you? I've got a friend there that finds amazing stuff around the cape.

Crow, I have spent some time with Lee Spence at his home in SC, doing some research together. He knows his stuff. We discussed the Ozama, and I trust he'll make it work. I see it as a “maybe” wreck. Regarding the Witchcraft, I feel the same about her as I do the El Salvador. Wreckage in the surf line has likely been picked over by wreckers of the past, unless the wreck was lost at a barren location and further back in time, like the 1715 fleet (and even it has been picked over in history, not to mention the past 50 years).

The best type of wrecks for the average diver to explore is a wooden passenger ship lost beyond state waters (3 mile mark). The Merida and Monroe off VA shores are passenger wrecks, but they're steel wrecks. They're a veritable junk pile down there. But something like the Pulaski is a better target. The wood is mostly deteriorated, and if the passengers left their valuables behind, then there is a good chance of finding something. A blockade runner beyond state waters might turn up some great museum-worthy artifacts and other items, too.

Keg, how far is Hyannis, MA from you? I've got a friend there that finds amazing stuff around the cape.
About a hour I got stuff on the cape to look at near Hyannis in Barnstable under water maybe 10 to 20’ then in a hole 10’ it use to be land .

Crow, I have spent some time with Lee Spence at his home in SC, doing some research together. He knows his stuff. We discussed the Ozama, and I trust he'll make it work. I see it as a “maybe” wreck. Regarding the Witchcraft, I feel the same about her as I do the El Salvador. Wreckage in the surf line has likely been picked over by wreckers of the past, unless the wreck was lost at a barren location and further back in time, like the 1715 fleet (and even it has been picked over in history, not to mention the past 50 years).

The best type of wrecks for the average diver to explore is a wooden passenger ship lost beyond state waters (3 mile mark). The Merida and Monroe off VA shores are passenger wrecks, but they're steel wrecks. They're a veritable junk pile down there. But something like the Pulaski is a better target. The wood is mostly deteriorated, and if the passengers left their valuables behind, then there is a good chance of finding something. A blockade runner beyond state waters might turn up some great museum-worthy artifacts and other items, too.

The problem with that is the average diver can search 3 miles out . An if there closer you can’t touch anything. I found one right off shore and in RI what a pain in the well you know talk about a ship full of artifacts good story ( the princess Augusta 1736 )

Darren-

Give me a call sometime...( lost phone overboard and all my #'s)...ooops.....

Kurt
Reminds me of the pager days.... i have dove in after many a pager to only dry to nadda.
Skinning down the sides (gunwales) was almost always the culprit.

Phone is in dry box these days when on teh water.
No calls needed or wanted when out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back