46.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,146
Ascholten said:
Umm no, the percent would be the WHOLE number part of it, ie the part on the left side of the decimal point.

that's less than one percent of both metals. in other words traces. not worth trying to harvest out. If you really really feel you have to go after it, Id use AR. but the cost .vs. what you'd get its not worth it.

what was the remainder of the base metal? did the report say?

aaron
OK my bad. Gold and Platinum are just trace minerals. That would be almost 1/10 of 1% of the total material of sample #2 is Platinum...right? Even less Gold. What is the base metal?

Upvote 0
Ascholten said:
Umm no, the percent would be the WHOLE number part of it, ie the part on the left side of the decimal point.

that's less than one percent of both metals. in other words traces. not worth trying to harvest out. If you really really feel you have to go after it, Id use AR. but the cost .vs. what you'd get its not worth it.

aaron
hi! aaron, thanks i don't have the report of the base metal ,according to the lab ,if iwant to find out, thats another testing which there's around 23 test to perform that would cost me , around 2 grand that's why i post it here i am hoping someone can help me ,i am willing to share atleast a pound, or two to find out what do we have ed

Upvote 0
Edong said:
Ascholten said:

aaron
hi! aaron, thanks i don't have the report of the base metal ,according to the lab ,if iwant to find out, thats another testing which there's around 23 test to perform that would cost me , around 2 grand that's why i post it here i am hoping someone can help me ,i am willing to share atleast a pound, or two to find out what do we have ed
2 grand! :o So you asked the lab to specifically test for Gold and Platinum and nothing else? Is that how it usually works? Just curious.

Upvote 0
Hi--Your discussion of the shinney metal is quite interesting. I wonder if anyone has thought to see if a magnet will stick to it? If it is ferrous, it should be magnetic at least to some degree.

Upvote 0
falstaff2k said:
Hi--Your discussion of the shinney metal is quite interesting. I wonder if anyone has thought to see if a magnet will stick to it? If it is ferrous, it should be magnetic at least to some degree.
yes it is magnetic ,but i was wondering why it never been destroy by rust,and the molding it's not done by factory,or melting plant,and there's waving of different thickness, and my last question is it common for the metal that is mix with some noble metal? hope to hear from you guys Ed

Upvote 0
Probably quite a bit of steel made from recycled scrap contains trace amounts of platinum due to catalytic converters used on automobiles.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
If you are on the right track with platinum, also try rhodium. it is a co compound in the catalytic process. It may be a casing to a large catalyst chamber and should also contain iron, carbon steel, rhodium. The rust on the outside that was removed may have been a result of sitting in a chamber with mild steel that rusted and became soluted in the trapped surrounding salt water and re deposited on the outer layer of the compound in question. a mass spectrometer would better narrow the questions. a burn on the compound will give off a glow of a specific spectrum which can be directly related to its elemental compliment.

Upvote 0
oh yeah, i forgot, rhodium and platinum are highly resistant to corrosion. rhodium is more valueable than platinum per weight. Spot today was somewhere around $6000/oz for rhodium.

Upvote 0
Carolina Gold said:
oh yeah, i forgot, rhodium and platinum are highly resistant to corrosion. rhodium is more valueable than platinum per weight. Spot today was somewhere around $6000/oz for rhodium.
Is there a simple test for rhodium?

Upvote 0
yes, it dissolves slightly in Aqua Regia but you need to stay the h^$% away from that acid. Evil stuff. Rhodium is the most expensive precious metal and is in the platinum group. Sulfuric acid will dissolve it (full strength NaSo4) and you can recompose it from that. mostly used for plating and making specialty wire. was worth only $200 in 2002 and was used more widely. so this guy may have found some really good stuff.
MORE INFO PLEASE!!! The stuff was definitely cast, probably against sand or concrete casing, and was broken from its cast, that is where you can see the lava like flow marks, cooling crystalization effect. there should be higher concentrations of certain metals in various areas as it congealed in its liquid form during cast. Like the last few cheerios in the bowl.

Upvote 0
Edong said:
diggummup said:
Answers man! We need answers! :)
ok the metal comes from the metal box, the thin one is the material that made the metal box the thicker one i cut it from one of the hook , the whole appearance of the metal box looks rusty,but when i cut those pieces, and soak it with vinegar i find out that rust on it was artificial,or intended to make it look like natural rusty metal, and the box has a bracket of angular metal bar around in the middle section, but all of it has been destroy by rust, and when i found it (the box)it was wraped with coral seem like it's been in the ocean for many many years sorry i can't expose the location right now for security reason perhaps someday, i guess that well answer all your question , Ed

As noted above,the thicker pieces were cut from the hook.The "lava like "flow marks are caused by the oxyacetylene torch used to cut them.

They are steel with less than 0.25% carbon,possibly a chrome moly alloy,which,when hardened resists rust very well.

I have been using an oxyacetylene torch for 45+ years so I can recognize a piece of steel that has been torch cut.No other metals can be cut with a torch.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
Hi Edong,

Have seen your assay report and it says, it is few mg per kg weight of your metal. In my opinion, those AU and PT are only traces in the base metal, considering the amount and percentage of weight per kilogram. Mg/Kg means, amount of trace metal per kilogram of the base metal.
I suspect that your piece of metal is a K-monel, a metal that belongs to stainless stell family. I think AAron is correct about his deduction.

Angel_09

Upvote 0
well i couldnt tell you what it is but if it costs 2 grand to get it tested why not if it turns out to actually be rhodium or platnium it looks like you have several ounces there. If you dont get it tested youll be wondering forever, send me some Ill test it, another way to tell is melt it down like silver coins you melt silver and the silver stays on the bottom and the other materail comes to the top kinda like gas and water. Melt a small peice of it maybe in a kelt or furnace, then record the melting temp that will rule out a few things, 2ndly if it all stays the same meaning no other materials seperate its a solid material when it cools see what color the materail is then. If you dont want to try this then maybe you can test it like a jeweler would to test gold, buy you some gold testing acid and test it that way. please keep us posted on what this turns out to be and good luck.

HH ;) 8)

Upvote 0
RHODIUM

GENERAL PROPERTIES

Symbol:
Rh

Atomic Number:

Atomic Weight:

Density:
12.41 gm/cc

Melting Point:
1966 oC

Boiling Point:
3727 oC

Thermal Conductivity:
1.50 W/cm/oK @ 298.2 oK

Electrical Resistivity:
4.51 microhm-cm @ 20 oC

Electronegativity:
2.2 Paulings

Specific Heat:
0.0583 Cal/g/oK @ 25 oC

Heat of Vaporization:
127 K-Cal/gm atom at 3727 oC

Heat of Fusion:
5.2 Cal/gm mole

MATERIAL OVERVIEW

Characteristics: White solid of platinum group. Insoluble in acids and aqua regia, soluble in fused potassium bisulfate. Harder and higher-melting than platinum or palladium. Rhodium has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of the platinum group. High surface reflectivity. A strong complexing agent.

Hazards: Flammable in powder form. Tolerance (fumes and dusts) 0.1 mg/m3 of air; (soluble salts, as Rh) 00.001 mg/m3 of air.

Upvote 0
ELECTRONIC SPACE PRODUCTS INTERNATIONAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1050 Benson Way, Ashland, OR 97520

Toll Free (800) 638-2581 * Fax (541) 488-8313

E-Mail: [email protected]

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

I PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trade Name: Rhodium Chemical Formula: Rh

CAS #: 7440-16-6

II HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS

Hazardous Components % OSHA/PEL ACGIH/TLV

Rhodium 0-100 0.1 mg/m3 1 mg/m3

NFPA/HMIS Hazard Classification: Health: 1 Flammable: 1 Reactivity: 0 Special: 0

III PHYSICAL DATA

Boiling Point: 3727 oC Melting Point: 1966 oC

Vapor Density (Air=1): NA Vapor Pressure: NA

Specific Gravity: 12.4 Solubility in H2O: Insoluble

Appearance and Odor: Black powder or silver colored solid, no odor. pH: Not Determined

IV FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS DATA

Flash Point: N/A Autoignition Temperature: N/A

Flammable Limits: Lower: N/A Upper: N/A

Extinguishing Media: Use foam, carbon dioxide or dry chemical

Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Firefighters must wear full face, self-contained breathing apparatus with full protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.

Unusual Fire & Explosion Hazards: Flammable solid. Avoid creating dust for potential dust ignition/explosions.

V HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

Effects of Exposure: To the best of our knowledge the chemical, physical and toxicological toxicity of rhodium have not been thoroughly investigated and reported but toxicity is thought to be low. Powdered forms will irritate eyes. Inhalation of rhodium compounds may cause respiratory irritation and respiratory sensitization

Acute Effects:

Inhalation: May cause irritation if exposure is prolonged or excessive.

Ingestion: No adverse effects expected.

Skin Contact: May cause irritation.

Eye Contact: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects: None known

Routes of Entry: Eyes, Skin, Inhalation, and Ingestion.

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: None known

Carcinogenicity: NTP: No IARC: No OSHA: No

EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES:

INHALATION: Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration, preferably mouth-to-mouth. If breathing is difficult, oxygen should be administered by qualified personnel. Call a physician.

INGESTION: Procedures normally not needed. If large quantities are ingested, seek medical advice.

SKIN: Flush with plenty of water. If irritation persists, call a physician.

EYES: Flush eyes with plenty of water. If irritation develops, call a physician.

VI REACTIVITY DATA

Stability: Stable

Conditions to Avoid: None expected

Incompatibility (Materials to avoid): Strong oxidizing agents and halogens. Violent reactions with ClF3 and OF2.

Hazardous Decomposition Products: None expected.

Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur.

VII SPILL OR LEAK PROCEDURES

Steps to Be Taken in Case Material Is Released or Spilled: Wear appropriate respiratory and protective equipment specified in Section VIII. Vacuum or scoop the spilled material into a container for reclamation or disposal.

Waste Disposal Method: Retain for recovery of rhodium or dispose of in accordance with State, Federal and Local regulations.

VIII SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION

Respiratory Protection (Specify Type): Use NIOSH-approved dust mask if exposure exceeds TLV.

Ventilation: General exhaust recommended. Use local exhaust ventilation as necessary to control any air contaminants to within their PELs or TLVs during the use of this product.

Eye Protection: Safety glasses. Protective Gloves: Rubber

Other Protective Equipment: Body protection as necessary to prevent skin contact.

IX SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS

Precautions to Be Taken in Handling and Storage: Wash thoroughly after handling, keep container closed, keep away from heat, sparks and flame, and store in a cool, dry location away from incompatible materials. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Avoid breathing dust, minimize dust generation and exposure. Use only with adequate ventilation. Do not eat, drink, or smoke in work area.

The above information is believed to be correct, but does not purport to be all inclusive and shall be used only as a guide. ESPI shall not be held liable for any damage resulting from handling or from contact with the above product.

Issued by: Steve Dierks

Date: February 2003

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back