shinny metal,heavy,and hard

Edong

Aug 2, 2005
california
hello everybody, i just wondering, if someone her can help me to id these metal it was found bottom of the ocean (40 ft. deep) a metal box size 4'x4'x6', and filled with concrete cement we demolish the concrete nothing inside ,and the only left is this metal which i cut it from the metal box thanks Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,151
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,146
Looks like it might of been a sailboat ballast.

Upvote 0
Hi, it looks like the two larger pieces were cut with a gas axe - an oxy,acetylene torch - did you do that?
the other piece looks like it's been through a bandsaw.
Do you mean, you cut these from the box - or found them in the box?
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
The piece cut with the oxyacetylene torch is steel ,as only ferrous alloys can be cut with an oxyacetylene torch.Stainles can be ruled out.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
looks like Carbide Steel!!

Upvote 0
ok, it was in a metal box 4 feet by 4 feet by 6 feet which contained these metal bars incased in concrete? sounds like radioactive waste to me! i suggest you get that out of your house till you find out what it is! know anyone with a guiger counter?

Upvote 0
Do you get that "warm" feeling when your near it? Did your coffee stay "hot" while you were taking the picks? Do you constantly go to turn off the lights, only to find that they are allready off?

Seriously, it's cut with a torch, so ferrous. but no corrosion, hmmm. I would check for radiation on those, you never know. Any idea how old the box was? type of construction? any reinforcing bar in it? or just these? How in the world did you demo a block that size, underwater? or did you raise it?

Upvote 0
drug dealer counter weight, but I'll go with sailboat ballast.
or if you glow tonight!

good luck.

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
Answers man! We need answers! :)
ok the metal comes from the metal box, the thin one is the material that made the metal box the thicker one i cut it from one of the hook , the whole appearance of the metal box looks rusty,but when i cut those pieces, and soak it with vinegar i find out that rust on it was artificial,or intended to make it look like natural rusty metal, and the box has a bracket of angular metal bar around in the middle section, but all of it has been destroy by rust, and when i found it (the box)it was wraped with coral seem like it's been in the ocean for many many years sorry i can't expose the location right now for security reason perhaps someday, i guess that well answer all your question , Ed

Upvote 0
It's a ballast block for a larger cargo ship. when I was stationed on an Ammo Ship, USS Haleakala (AE-25) long since turned into razor blades, we had several of these in the bottom hold area depending on what we were hauling.

Concrete blocks, with steel in them, and the top would have like a re bar loop or whatever you want to call it, so you could crane / winch the thing to move it, or use a forklift tine to get it and move it if need be.

Given sailors are not the most cautious of people and nobody is there to watch you drag race on the forklifts in the lower bowels of the holds ;D cement blocks could get banged up / chipped up / start crumbling after a while. Not only is it a pain in the butt to have to sweep up the dust / chunks of it but after a while it can lessen their integrety. Many were encased in steel to keep them intact from the beating they took.

These blocks were also used to load test winches and unrep cranes. They'd load one up, hang it between the boats at times and make sure it'd hold the weight. Most of the time this is done in port with a rig up but Ive seen them do them at sea as well for a 'dynamic' test. Possibly one of the winches failed, or a line parted and the block went to davy jones' locker. Other times, after replacing a cable as an example, they'd 'load test' it by vert repping a block to check the integrity, afterall if it does give way, Id rather lose a cement block than say, a few million dollar piece of equipment.

Just my 2 cents.

Aaron

Upvote 0
Skifisher said:
Do you get that "warm" feeling when your near it? Did your coffee stay "hot" while you were taking the picks? Do you constantly go to turn off the lights, only to find that they are allready off?

Seriously, it's cut with a torch, so ferrous. but no corrosion, hmmm. I would check for radiation on those, you never know. Any idea how old the box was? type of construction? any reinforcing bar in it? or just these? How in the world did you demo a block that size, underwater? or did you raise it?
dear skifisher you are right it has a bracket (angular bar in mid section )i think the box originally make the size of 2'x2'x3' and they put it together and become 4'x4'x6' that's why they have to put a bracket in mid section(how do you know all thes?)and you are right i raise it with a drum floater,and estemate weight around 10 tons. Ed

Upvote 0
ok guys i have here a lab report just by email, but i cann't understand my math getting rusty you know please anybody can explain to me thanks ed

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0
Edong said:
ok guys i have here a lab report just by email, but i cann't understand my math getting rusty you know please anybody can explain to me thanks ed
I looks like it is almost 10% Platinum with a tiny gold content. What is the other 90%? ???

Upvote 0
Umm no, the percent would be the WHOLE number part of it, ie the part on the left side of the decimal point.

that's less than one percent of both metals. in other words traces. not worth trying to harvest out. If you really really feel you have to go after it, Id use AR. but the cost .vs. what you'd get its not worth it.

what was the remainder of the base metal? did the report say?

aaron

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back