Shell Fragments Question - Indian or Post Colonial & Later?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far inland would the presence of clam, oyster and mussel shell fragments still be considered possible as possible signs of Indian occupation rather than more modern (colonial settlement to present) activity?

I live 20 miles inland from Long Island sound in Connecticut. While metal detecting and doing yard work I have found numerous such fragments plus flaked quartz. More recently I have found a flint(?) scraper and quartz projectile point at this site. (I will try to post photos of these soon). A 1750 saltbox once stood here. The land has been disturbed by farming and later development so nothing is really in context anymore.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks for Looking!
Nick

Upvote 0
It took me 3 yrs to have somebody say yes. I do have another that said yes but couldnt find anything there. I have offered 3 times to help out with the farm where I am hunting at now. But each time I get a thank you but not rite now answer. I do however when I find the rocks in the field take them to the side and throw them out for the farmer. I have told him I do this and he says TY. So I guess that is good enough for him. It is a great feeling to help and I really enjoy the hunt. I know he has more fields than where I am rite now so when I am done with this area I will hit him up for a new spot. Each field he has talked about is near water so I know there will be artifacts of some kind at each field. I offered to make him a frame of the nicest artifacts I have found so he could show his kids but he wasnt interested which is fine for me cause I want to keep them. Good Luck, rock

Last edited:
rock said:
It took me 3 yrs to have somebody say yes. I do have another that said yes but couldnt find anything there. I have offered 3 times to help out with the farm where I am hunting at now. But each time I get a thank you but not rite now answer. I do however when I find the rocks in the field take them to the side and throw them out for the farmer. I have told him I do this and he says TY. So I guess that is good enough for him. It is a great feeling to help and I really enjoy the hunt. I know he has more fields than where I am rite now so when I am done with this area I will hit him up for a new spot. Each field he has talked about is near water so I know there will be artifacts of some kind at each field. I offered to make him a frame of the nicest artifacts I have found so he could show his kids but he wasnt interested which is fine for me cause I want to keep them. Good Luck, rock

That is strange. Nock on wood, I have never been turned down. Never ran off of the places I just walked because I didn't know who to ask. Could be that they just like my looks. Try to look like me Rock!

image-1568493930.jpg

image-7372861.jpg

That's my twin brother. I'm not as photogenic as he is!

Definately Native American shells and flakes. You're not that far from the Sound. Our southern New England natives loved their shellfish. Post pics of any points and I can give you a date range.

Definately Native American shells and flakes. You're not that far from the Sound. Our southern New England natives loved their shellfish. Post pics of any points and I can give you a date range.
Thanks, Charl. These are definitely salt water shellfish. I have found some mussel shells that are so chalky and powdery that they fell apart. They could have been either salt or fresh since the nearby stream still supports a population of freshwater mussels. I am working on posting some pics of finds that will be on a new thread, hopefully.

Thanks for the remarks, GTK96, NC field hunter, larson1951, and rock. It's interesting to read these discussions about the politics of permission since all of us who love to hunt face these issues sooner or later. In western Fairfield County, Connecticut, where I live, there is the added problem that so many of the good agricultural fields have been developed for housing or offices. Many abandoned fields that have not been developed have become re-forested.
Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back