Shell Fragments Question - Indian or Post Colonial & Later?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far inland would the presence of clam, oyster and mussel shell fragments still be considered possible as possible signs of Indian occupation rather than more modern (colonial settlement to present) activity?

I live 20 miles inland from Long Island sound in Connecticut. While metal detecting and doing yard work I have found numerous such fragments plus flaked quartz. More recently I have found a flint(?) scraper and quartz projectile point at this site. (I will try to post photos of these soon). A 1750 saltbox once stood here. The land has been disturbed by farming and later development so nothing is really in context anymore.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks for Looking!
Nick

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have definitely found a native American site. If you type the projectile points you can at least put a date on at least one occupation of the site. Good ground is good ground. Whatever made that spot good for the natives more than likely appealed to others. 20 miles is not very far when trade networks are considered.

Sounds like you have definitely found a native American site. If you type the projectile points you can at least put a date on at least one occupation of the site. Good ground is good ground. Whatever made that spot good for the natives more than likely appealed to others. 20 miles is not very far when trade networks are considered.
Thanks for the reply, GatorBoy. The land is gently sloping higher ground situated at a bend between two larger streams that appear on my 19th century map of the area.
Nick

I live in southern Ohio and we find Mussell Shells and small Shells from the east coast that were used as Beads so distance doesn't really matter with all the trading that was going on. There is Obsidian from out west found in Hopewell Mounds in Ohio as well as Copper from northern Michigan found in my area of southern Ohio.

Sounds like a beautiful place to me. Your welcome and please post some photos. If the artifacts interest you I would recommend walking any tilled or otherwise disturbed ground in that area. After a rain helps alot. Also anywhere gravel collects along the water. It sounds to me like you have a pretty good eye; since you were able to spot those things while metal detecting and they were not your focus. Good luck.

Last edited:
I live in southern Ohio and we find Mussell Shells and small Shells from the east coast that were used as Beads so distance doesn't really matter with all the trading that was going on. There is Obsidian from out west found in Hopewell Mounds in Ohio as well as Copper from northern Michigan found in my area of southern Ohio.
Good point!

Sounds like a beautiful place to me. Your welcome and please post some photos. If the artifacts interest you I would recommend walking any tilled or otherwise disturbed ground in that area. After a rain helps alot. Also anywhere gravel collects along the water. It sounds to me like you have a pretty good eye; since you were able to spot those things while metal detecting and they were not your focus. Good luck.
I'm always scanning the ground even when I walk in town...drives my wife nuts. I have turned my attention recently to a surplus topsoil pile in my yard. It was left over when the builder knocked the old house and barn down and built the new houses. Whenever I borrow from it to do yard projects I screen it first. That's how I found the quartz projectile point. I'd love to walk some plowed cornfields but haven't gotten up enough nerve to ask permission yet.
Nick

Love to see the artifacts. Metal detecting and artifacts go hand in hand. After you get past knocking on one door you will find it easier to knock on everyones. I hunt one field with a metal detector for old coins but find many woodland points and flint. The artifacts win every time.:thumbsup:

Haha... Yes they do! I wind up carrying around My detector Looking for a good place to lay it down.

Asking for permission is kinda like being a salesmen. If you're told no....follow up with pleasantries, if you're told yes, follow up with pleasantries, when you're dead done with the property, follow up with pleasantries. When requesting permission you're not selling your idea, you're selling yourself. Following up to a no often leads to a yes. Following up on a yes gets you more access with that landowner, following up when you're done gets you access to other land owners by word of mouth. Nothing like having pleased a land owner then dropping his name as a reference to gain access to other properties. And for heavens sake, don't take no for an answer, most people hate to say no and feel real bad about it 5 seconds after the reply. Often times the second time is the charm. Perhaps take an example of an artifact that you expect to find on his/her land, let them hold it. Don't hesitate to share and/or give of what you find. If you find nothing, appeal to the land owners curosity with confidence that if given enough search time, you will find something worthwhile.

You'll know that you're good at asking permission when a land owner says no but wants to know if you can hook him up with a metal detector or tractor with a plow....lol.

Asking for permission is kinda like being a salesmen. If you're told no....follow up with pleasantries, if you're told yes, follow up with pleasantries, when you're dead done with the property, follow up with pleasantries. When requesting permission you're not selling your idea, you're selling yourself. Following up to a no often leads to a yes. Following up on a yes gets you more access with that landowner, following up when you're done gets you access to other land owners by word of mouth. Nothing like having pleased a land owner then dropping his name as a reference to gain access to other properties. And for heavens sake, don't take no for an answer, most people hate to say no and feel real bad about it 5 seconds after the reply. Often times the second time is the charm. Perhaps take an example of an artifact that you expect to find on his/her land, let them hold it. Don't hesitate to share and/or give of what you find. If you find nothing, appeal to the land owners curosity with confidence that if given enough search time, you will find something worthwhile.

You'll know that you're good at asking permission when a land owner says no but wants to know if you can hook him up with a metal detector or tractor with a plow....lol.

I lease land. I started with a small farm and now lease over 4000 acres. It just takes one yes to open that door as 1320 said. Good luck sir!

I'm not recommending anyone do this, unless you think you can. Not to pat myself on the back, but I'm pretty good with people. I also live in a small town. One of those towns where if I don't know a person, I know their cousin's grandpa. If I see a field with no houses near, and have no clue who to ask, I hunt it. I always take an arrowhead with me, incase I'm ask, "what are you doing?". If I have a point, they can't say I'm lying. I never try to hide my truck, or look like I'm sneaking in. My whole intention is to draw attention to myself. (don't wear a chicken suit or anything) try to draw innocent trouble free attention to yourself. When the landowner approaches, be cool, walk toward him, as he approaches you. I normally say, from about 10 yards away "I have been hoping you would stop by". Before I say that I usually ask at about 25 yards "are you the land owner?) always have the point visible with hands out of your pockets. I never go into fields with equipment in them either. I have done this time and time again, and never been shot down. (literally or figuratively) I figure the worse thing that could happen is you would get ran away.

Thanks, Tnmountains, 1320, GatorBoy, and NC field hunter! Lots of good advice there. I'm always open to new ideas.
HH
Nick

Last edited:
Wildcat1750 said:
Thanks, Tnmountains, 1320, GatorBoy, and NC field hunter! Lots of good advice there. I'm always open to new ideas.
HH
Nick

I'm not sure where you live, but, it has never gotten me into trouble. Most of the time, the farmer will let me know the best spot on the farm. Two times I have gained not only the land I trespassed on, but all of a farmers leased land as well. We are all people. I'm not sure where we learned to be scared of each other. No need in being scared of another human. I have hunted one field for two years and the owner hasn't been by. I do nice things like remove large rocks for the farmer and have found locking keys or collar keys for tractor attachments for them. I have stacked rocks in an odd manner before, and put the key on top of the stack. They probably think I'm the tooth fairy or something. LOL

I'm not sure where you live, but, it has never gotten me into trouble. Most of the time, the farmer will let me know the best spot on the farm. Two times I have gained not only the land I trespassed on, but all of a farmers leased land as well. We are all people. I'm not sure where we learned to be scared of each other. No need in being scared of another human. I have hunted one field for two years and the owner hasn't been by. I do nice things like remove large rocks for the farmer and have found locking keys or collar keys for tractor attachments for them. I have stacked rocks in an odd manner before, and put the key on top of the stack. They probably think I'm the tooth fairy or something. LOL
I live in Western, Connecticut, NC field hunter. My problem is not so much getting the permission...I'm just not used to asking for it. I guess like anything else it gets easier the more times you try it.
Nick

Wildcat1750 said:
I live in Western, Connecticut, NC field hunter. My problem is not so much getting the permission...I'm just not used to asking for it. I guess like anything else it gets easier the more times you try it.
Nick

I understand. I do not like knocking on the doors of strangers either. I like dog bites even less! They go hand in hand with strange doors. Be careful. You will probably end up meeting someone with ties, and get to skip knocking on doors. I hope so any way. Good luck!!

I understand. I do not like knocking on the doors of strangers either. I like dog bites even less! They go hand in hand with strange doors. Be careful. You will probably end up meeting someone with ties, and get to skip knocking on doors. I hope so any way. Good luck!!
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Follow up photos of shell and quartz fragments.

Hello again.
Attached are photos of the shell fragments that I was referring to. They were recovered from my yard in Connecticut about 20 miles inland. I've also attached pics of the quartz fragments (debitage?) from the same location. I will post photos of the few relics that I've found, so far, shortly.
Nick

Attachments

• 101_5678.jpg
    101_5678.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 87
  • 101_5677.jpg
    101_5677.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 101_5679.jpg
    101_5679.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 83
My Advice for asking permission is what I think every time I do it; the worst they could say is no

GTK96 said:
My Advice for asking permission is what I think every time I do it; the worst they could say is no

My advice is hunt. Worst they can do is run you off. That is if you can't find out who owns the property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back