IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
672D9E74-2FF3-429D-B07D-1050785AA9E4.jpeg

467FD153-E68E-46E7-B4A5-12485F84D771.jpeg

Upvote 0
It looks like it was struck from a Core for use for something. You can see where other pieces were struck off before it. Could just be a waste flake and it could be a Flake Knife.

Core is the original rock or cortex that has had other pieces removed from it

So they whacked a larger piece and what flaked off might have been useful for a purpose rather than being worked and fashioned into a tool?

This is a core that has had blades like yours removed. It is smaller than the core your blade came off of. This one is modern, one I made for a reference.

You could think of your blade as a disposable razor knife. It keeps its razor edge for a short time then is tossed. It's still sharp, but not razor sharp, which is necessary for fine cutting. Gary

DSC09017.JPGDSC09018.JPGDSC09019.JPGDSC09020.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Gary. That helps me understand.

Go to youtube and type making a blade from a core. It is a real talent to do what has been shown. Nice work Toddspoint.

Despite only being 50 miles from an abundant source of obsidian, I never see any larger chunks of obsidian laying around.
They must have buried these cores near their seasonal camps and made use of every single piece that could be used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back