Seriously...6X10 DD (everyones fave) or D2 (the new guy)? *UPDATE* post-trial

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Seriously...6X10 DD (everyone's fave) or D2 (the new guy)? *UPDATE* post-trial

I haven't heard much about the D2, except one or two say they like it...? I like toast, but I would rather eat a Prime Rib. So, If you have used the D2 or the 6X10 DD, I would like an opinion. Of course the best case scenario would be an MXT user that has time using the 950, the 6X10 DD, and the D2...but I would be grateful for any opinion/comparison. I will be buying one of the two at the end of the month. I am not concerned which costs more, my purchase will depend soley on performance. I hunt 90 percent of the time in yards and parks, but I do venture off into the woods on occasion, or in TALL grass to hunt a school house, etc. Ground conditions change constantly...

I would like to know the following...
Depth as compared to the 950 (and eachother)...
Coverage/target separation...
Ease of pinpointing...
Rumors of improved stability!!!

My MXT is CHATTY, of course I run her a little hot and I am in iron laden hunting grounds...but I would like a coil that can handle my hunting style.
Also, if I am hunting an area that's not heavily mineralized, will my DD coil be a detriment as compared to a concentric coil, or does it matter?
Thank you all for your help in advance, and I will monitor this post until I make my purchase and will eventually add an update of my own field test!

~Tom

Re: Seriously...6X10 DD (everyone's fave) or D2 (the new guy)?

i have an M6 which for all intents and purposes is a slightly modified MXT save the prospecting mode. I was becoming a little dissappointed in the performance UNTIL i ordered the 10" d2. i have never dug coins as deeply as i have with this coil. I am getting around 12 inches and the target seperation,coverage and pinpointing is SUPERB (remember with this coil that you have to pinpoint at perpendicular angles). The coil is also reasonably light for its size. I also own the 4 x 6 dd and feel that i have the best combination. Many will disagree and tell you that the 6 x 10 is the way to go if you are only going to purchase 1 additional coil. If you hunt a lot of wooded areas i would agree as that coil is solid and will not hang up as much as an open design. i am very pleased with the 10" and it rarely comes off the machine... if i get into a real trashy area the 4 x 6 goes on...when this happens most times the trash is too heavy to make use of the 6 x 10 anyway...my personal belief is that White's should equip all of their machines with the 10" coil and make the 950 optional

one more thing...depth compared to the 950 is as follows...i believe that you should get about 2 inches more out of the d2..THE REAL DRAMATIC DIFFERENCE IS THAT THE D2 SENDS A STRAIGHT BLADE OF A SIGNAL INTO THE GROUND PROVIDING ABOUT 20 SQUARE INCHES OF COVERAGE AT DEPTH(2" X 10"). the 950, with it's conical shaped flux field only provides about 1 to 2 inches of coverage at its depth limits....the d2 covers lots more ground per swing

Well if you have read some of my threads I started you may have seen my opinion already on the 6x10DD........I do know this, if your are hunting in high mineralization grounds then go for the D2. It is designed especially for that.....If your ground is milder go for the 6x10. I have used it both(6x10) for coin and relic hunting............I was pulling dropped 44 caliber civil war bullets from around the 12" depth with my 6X10 and the signal was good and locked on the VDI nice too. Now I know that is not the deepest depth they are found and I do know that other detectorist searched the area for a few years with a 950 coil that was on their machines.........They said I might find a couple of bullets. Well I found 5 within 20 minutes and the other guy was really kind of "shocked." The 950 coil will give you an edge on depth but it will only be a smaller signal path. I have never found a silver coin deeper than 8 inches........that is why I went with the 6X10 because I know it would be good for depths beyond 8 inches......I was considering one of the D2 coils but my dealer said they are designed for high mineral content soils. The soil I search in is quite mild here in Middle TN so, that is why I went with the 6X10. I also found a 40% silver half right next to a large bent nail.....I did know there was something trashy by the good signal because I was able to seperate them before I dug..........When I dug my plug I hit a large bent nail and when I pulled the plug out of the ground there was the half less than 2 inches from that bent nail!!!! That would have been alot harder to do with the stock 950 coil. So I know for a fact that my 6X10 has very good separatioin!!!! Pinpointing is very easy too with the 6X10. The target once pinpointed will be directly under the coil where the shaft attaches to it. I run my machine pretty hot so it chatters alot too but I tone all of that down with the volume on my headphones.......Which ever you choose I think you cannot go wrong, Tim

Thank you both very much for the information...and thanks to those that continue to reply...
I wonder if hunting with the D2 in mild soil will have a negative impact on its performance. I could buy a 6X10, and I have no doubt it would work here in Mo, but I found some places that used to be panned regularly for gold here in Mo. and the ground is heavily mineralized. I wonder, if I get the D2, will it not work as well in my hometown park...with light soil? I am intrigued by the comment about it being better in woods, because I am planning on frequenting woods during the winter (ground is thawed FAR more often than parks and yards...). Thanks again folks!

~Tom

I got the D2 about 9 months ago and never looked back. I dig Hot and mild soil with no issues. The 6x10 is nice in tight spots and don't get hung up. But if I had to chose it would be the D2.

ashleysflyr said:
Thank you both very much for the information...and thanks to those that continue to reply...
I wonder if hunting with the D2 in mild soil will have a negative impact on its performance. I could buy a 6X10, and I have no doubt it would work here in Mo, but I found some places that used to be panned regularly for gold here in Mo. and the ground is heavily mineralized. I wonder, if I get the D2, will it not work as well in my hometown park...with light soil? I am intrigued by the comment about it being better in woods, because I am planning on frequenting woods during the winter (ground is thawed FAR more often than parks and yards...). Thanks again folks!

~Tom

No negative effect at all.......Less mineralization is ideally better with a "hot coil" because it will be easier for the machine to penetrate the signal through the soil and get those deeper coins and relics. So the less minerals the better and that is with any coil used on a detector. If you get the coil that you think would be best for looking in those areas that were prospected from years gone by, which will be higher mineral conditions, then the hometown park detecting will be a breeze out coinshootoing with whatever DD style you choose, Tim

I have the D2 and i like it but it doesnt stay on my machine. I use smaller copils mainly. The D2 seems to be a bottle cap magnet though.

I have both the 6x10 and the D2. I find for the kind of hunting I do most, coin and jewelry in high trach areas, that the 6x10 separates better than the D2. I'll grant that the D2 give me a couple more inches in depth but that doesn't out weight the 6x10 ability to pick thru trash. I love the D2 in less trashy areas like th beach and football/soccer fields or when I am relic hunting.

Tom...Have you given any thought to joining an MD club in your area & asking to borrow either one or both coils for a head-to-head comp? You might also find one for sale at a right price!

JMHO/DR

Haven't used the D2 but have heard good things about it. Some claim more depth with it. I start every hunt with the 6X10 on when unfamiliar with the area. In the woods or rough terrain the 6X10 is unbeatable because of shape and no openings to snag on briars or stubble etc. They are both DD coils so I doubt there is better performance from either one over the other.

on the 6x10 do we have a part number? and is the 6x10 and the 6x10DD them same coil?
also is the D2 part number have a part number as well?
I have a 950 that came with my MXT and I do not mind grabbing both the other coils as I know I will be in different soil conditions from the beach to high iron areas and then high desert soil, also I can hit the local parks and fairgrounds, schools etc.

Thanks a lot everyone for the comments, I think I am going to go for the D2 for several reasons...I like the open face coil design, I like the "idea" of the newest technology (I know that's not really a legitimate argument, but still...)...oh and I found one for $60!!!

~Tom

ashleysflyr said:
Thanks a lot everyone for the comments, I think I am going to go for the D2 for several reasons...I like the open face coil design, I like the "idea" of the newest technology (I know that's not really a legitimate argument, but still...)...oh and I found one for $60!

$60 is a steal dude!!!!i payed $160 for mine used off ebay...great snag!! Before you buy it check it out...Whites had a bad batch of them early on in the production run. Lightly tap it while it is on the machine and listen for it the mxt to go crazy...if it does you got one of the bad ones with shielding issues...if not best be ready to dig deep!

The-Bone said:
i have an M6 which for all intents and purposes is a slightly modified MXT save the prospecting mode. I was becoming a little dissappointed in the performance UNTIL i ordered the 10" d2. i have never dug coins as deeply as i have with this coil. I am getting around 12 inches and the target seperation,coverage and pinpointing is SUPERB (remember with this coil that you have to pinpoint at perpendicular angles). The coil is also reasonably light for its size. I also own the 4 x 6 dd and feel that i have the best combination. Many will disagree and tell you that the 6 x 10 is the way to go if you are only going to purchase 1 additional coil. If you hunt a lot of wooded areas i would agree as that coil is solid and will not hang up as much as an open design. i am very pleased with the 10" and it rarely comes off the machine... if i get into a real trashy area the 4 x 6 goes on...when this happens most times the trash is too heavy to make use of the 6 x 10 anyway...my personal belief is that White's should equip all of their machines with the 10" coil and make the 950 optional
When I purchased my M6 last year I purchased the D2 10" at the same time because of all the great reviews so I never messed with the stock 950 coil, OK fast forward to the present day. I decided to try the stock coil and it would go deeper than my D2 so all that time out with the D2 I was missing targets. I called whites they said send it in, they sent me a new coil and said the other one had "bad shielding" well guess what the new one they sent me was worse so I'm getting the 6x10DD to go with my little friend the 4x6DD It could be my ground here in CO but I think most people stretch the truth 12" Hmm?

When I purchased my M6 last year I purchased the D2 10" at the same time because of all the great reviews so I never messed with the stock 950 coil, OK fast forward to the present day. I decided to try the stock coil and it would go deeper than my D2 so all that time out with the D2 I was missing targets. I called whites they said send it in, they sent me a new coil and said the other one had "bad shielding" well guess what the new one they sent me was worse so I'm getting the 6x10DD to go with my little friend the 4x6DD It could be my ground here in CO but I think most people stretch the truth 12" Hmm?
[/quote]
go to the Whites forum and check out deoleslyfox and others for d2 depth....maybe you are doing something wrong

i prefer the 6x9 over 950 cant say about the 2d

Thanks for the advice de sly heard my cries, maybe I just 2 bad ones basically too much chatter on the two I had, anyway a 6x10DD is on the way. I don't have any trouble with my 4x6dd or my stock 950 don't think I could be doing anything wrong the D2 is just another coil, this is my 4th whites.
HH John

Re: Seriously...6X10 DD (everyone's fave) or D2 (the new guy)? *UPDATE* post-trial

OK, after nearly a year, I have to say that I gave her a fair trial...
-less chatty
-less deep than 950...but not by much, and only on copper. Still finds dimes DEEP.
-really have to swing 90 degrees perpindicular when in trashy areas
-SUPER sensitive to pulltabs.
-different arrow in the quiver...I would suggest using both coils to go over the same area.
Definatley instrumental for covering larger areas of territory in short time!

~Tom

Re: Seriously...6X10 DD (everyone's fave) or D2 (the new guy)? *UPDATE* post-trial

I can't comment on the Whites 10" DD or the 6x10 DD coils, but can contribute to the conversation. I have a M6 and also wanted to try a new coil that would hopefully complement the performance of the stock 950. Upon the recommendations on the M6 forum I ending up buying the Excaliber 10" DD and have not even considered going back to the stock coil. I only wish I had bought it sooner. Why do I say this? I took the new DD coil to a homesite that I had hunted to death with the 950. Absolutely hunted to death. As a matter of fact, I was not planning a return to this site because the 950 could not longer locate any diggable signals. Since changing coils to the Excaliber 10" DD, I have found more than a dozen high quality targets from this hunted out site, including my first seated liberty quarter and first two-cent piece, not to mention four indian heads and a barber dime. None of these would have been found with the 950. Why the success? Two reasons--target separation and depth. Quite a few of the new targets were found at deeper depths (6-9") and were near nails. With the 950 coil these targets would be completely "hidden" by the iron. The Excaliber 10" DD gave me either a mixed signal or two completely separate signals. I also believe the Excaliber 10" DD coil gives me an additional 1-2" of depth, judging by the new coins I found that I was unable to find with the stock 950. Interestingly, I noticed that several of the coins that 10" DD found with ease were highly corroded indian head coins. Maybe the stock coil has more trouble finding these corroded coins that are deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back