selling your extra gold

I use Midwest Refineries ... ;D

I have also seen the ads on TV. I never tried their service but like anything else advertised on the 3 am infomercials it is something thought up by someone to get that last piece of change from our pockets. They send you a return envelope to mail in your rings and such and send you back a check for the gold value.
They do not tell you what price they are paying for the gold.
They do not tell you what happens to any stones that may be in the jewelry. And they do not say anything about sending the stones back.
It may be a bad ring or pendant but might have a nice diamond or emerald in it. They do not say anything about returning these. They are only buying the gold and getting the rest for free. Which they will sell to someone else.
Unless you have an idea of the weight, the gold content, and the value of the items you want to sell and could possibly get a quote from them as to what they are going to pay before you are sending in your items. I would not use this type of service.
If you need to sell the items check with a few local jewelers. Many small "mom and pop" type stores will buy old items as they are melting them down and selling it as gold nuggets for on chains.
If you go to a jeweler ask him or her what the gold content is in the items and the weight. This way you will have an idea of the scrap gold value.
Also check a few coin shops most will buy gold. But again watch what they offer. They will only pay scrap price.
At least if you sell your items local you can refuse the offer and go home or somewhere else with your pieces. If you mail them in to the GoldKit you lost your wares and are stuck with their offer.
Or the other way to sell them is always eBay. After getting a few offers in town if you still have the pieces you can use the info you got from their weight and content. and put them on eBay with a reserve price. Scrap gold is listed in the coin site under bullion. I have sold some old pieces their myself.
Just my thoughts
Joe

Lets see- they pay $26.36 per pennyweight, 20 pennyweight per ounce for 24K gold. Thats $527.20 per ounce if you have 10 to 50 ounces to sell. This price was established Dec 18th when gold was $794.00 per ounce. Plus you have to pay for shipping.

No, I wouldn't sell to them. Try Midwest instead.

yup i was curious about this company but i don"t think i will do business with them - thanks you all for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back