Seen anything like this?

bcreynolds

Oct 27, 2012

Attachments

• image-1463478399.jpg
    image-1463478399.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 98
Saddle shield/ornament perhaps? Can't place the script but the basic shape or design matches some mid-19th century examples I've seen.

Upvote 0
It is an emblem from an early-1900s automobile radiator-cap. Specifically, it is from the Monogram line of "automatic locking radiator caps." The company offered to equip the cap with whatever letter or design you preferred. See the advertisement below. I'll include a photo of one on the actual radiator cap, and another photo showing some of the letter variations which have been found.

For anybody here who didn't already know:
Although these objects have been sold on Ebay (and at some relic-shops) as a "civil war Confederate saddle-shield," the advertisement and photos of them on the radiator-cap are rock-solid proof that these shield-emblems are absolutely NOT a civil war relic.

Attachments

• shield-emblem_radiator-locking-cap-emblem_advertizement-offering-Initials.jpg
    shield-emblem_radiator-locking-cap-emblem_advertizement-offering-Initials.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 93
  • shield-emblem_radiator-locking-cap-emblem_closeup-as-mounted-on-cap+TN_postedbyCreskol.jpg
    shield-emblem_radiator-locking-cap-emblem_closeup-as-mounted-on-cap+TN_postedbyCreskol.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 85
  • shield-emblem_radiator-locking-cap-emblem_assortment-of-letters_TN_postedbyCreskol.jpg
    shield-emblem_radiator-locking-cap-emblem_assortment-of-letters_TN_postedbyCreskol.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice job Cball, that is cool looking find and I love your avatar bcreynolds.

Upvote 0
I'm glad to read that Pete, around here a lot of folks said they were off bicycles.

Upvote 0
Let me give the credit to whom it is actually due. I was one of the people who theorized those shields were bicycle badges. I learned their actual identification here in the What-Is-It forum. TreasureNet member (and fellow ID-helper) Nhbenz posted the correct ID, and Creskol provided the photos to prove the ID is correct.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/400431-few-finds-needing-identity-help.html

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back