Security / Skelton / Saint Louis

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
This is an item I found at the cache site a while back, It got shuffled around with all my other junk and I had forgotten about it... Hoping someone could give me a clue as to what it was used for. It seems to be made of heavy copper and is inscribed,
SECURITY
SKELTON
SAINT LOUIS​
Skelton.jpg

Any information would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, Leon...

Ooops,,,, sorry about that mastereagle22, Thanks . Size probably would help...
It measures 3" in length by 1-1/2" tall by about 3/16" thick. I was thinking some type of Badge maybe, but it seems to be fairly heavy to be a badge?..

This is an emblem of the Skelton Motors Corporation of St. Louis, Missouri, which manufactured cars only from 1919 to 1922.

(Some sources list it as the Skelton Motor Car Company, c. 1920-22.)

Skelton ads in 1920 featured the slogan, "The Improved Air Cooled Car."

Upvote 0
As usual, PBK is right on the mark.
Yes, the slogan of Skelton as well as the slogans of maybe 25 other car manufacturers are on this page:

http://local.aaca.org/mvr/About Us.htm

What surprises me, is that I've never heard of most of these cars before.
Thanks to Leon and PBK for the opportunity to learn more about this history.
Don...

Upvote 0
Thanks guys,,,
Looks like another one to make me say, "Huh ???"

Jim,,, Your link looked really promissing although the place this was found, did at one time have guards, or some type of security, I don't think it ever had anything to do with the military...

PBK,,, I have never had a reason to doubt any of your ID's and your probably right. I was just wondering why in the world would an Auto maker have "Security" on the top of their emblem? Was it a particular make of auto?, maybe another attempt at a slogan?
Seems kinda odd... Are you sure on this one?

Also, after reading PBK's reply I did another Google and came across this site. I thought some of you car buffs would enjoy this trip through time.
http://members.lycos.nl/carmakes/

A couple of cars I really liked were under "AM" on that site.
One is the little yellow & black "American Austin Roadster (1932)" and the other is, the green "American Bantam Coupe (1933)"
I would give my left to have either on of those... Of course, I would settle for any of them.
I'm a regular NUT when it comes to old cars... ;D

Anyway, if this is an old car emblem, or have anything to do with cars, it is perfect to go along with my "Racing Wall" ( a place to hang all my old racing pics, and a place for my trophies), if, and when, I ever get it done...

Thanks again guys,,, Leon...

Upvote 0
Leon said:
I have never had a reason to doubt any of your ID's and your probably right. Are you sure on this one?

As you say, "Security" may have been either a slogan or a model name.

However, the main logo, with its distinctively connected "S" and "N," is attributed to the Skelton Motors Corporation and illustrated on p. 130 of C. H. Wendel's American Automobile Trademarks, 1900-1960.

So, if it's only a wild guess, it's not my wild guess. ;)

Incidentally, Wendel states that, "Their trademark application indicates February 1, 1920 as the date of first use for this mark."

Upvote 0
Thanks again PBK,,,,
I'll have to take yours, and their word for it, simply because I don't have a clue... ;D
The site I posted a link to shows Skelton listed from 1920-1921, so it fits with what you are saying as well...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0
The St. Louis Car Company was formed in April of 1887, to manufacture and sell streetcars and other kinds of rolling stock of street and steam railways. In succeeding years the company built automobiles, including the American Mors, the Skelton, and the Standard Six. A division of the company produced aircraft such as the Cardinal. During the two world wars, the company manufactured gliders, trainer, Alligators, flying boats, and dirigible gondolas. Among their most sucessful products were the Birney Safety Cars and the PCC Cars. The Car Company disbanded in 1973. For more information on the history of the company, see Andrew D. Young and Eugene Provenzo, The History of the St. Louis Car Company (Howell North Books 1978)

Upvote 0
Ramitt said:
Would it be possible that it is a gaurds pin for the Skeleton Auro company. A bit of both?

Thanks Ramitt,,, sound like a very good possibilty...

jddave79,,, that also sound like a good possibilty, Thanks for the comment...

gypsyheart, Thanks for all that info, very interesting...
Good luck to you all, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back