Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got in a short 2-hour hunt at the end of the day, going back to farm site area where the 1838 seated was dug. Ended up with 56 cents in clad, deer slug, Frontier Hornet .22 brass, shotgun shell base and a pewter utensil part. This is the second dug from the top of the hill and it has two identifiable markings. The first piece I found here is a spoon bowl. Both pieces look 18th century or early 19th, but I know little about dating such.

Pewter_09Feb2017.jpgIMG_4922.JPG

Here's dig of today's find:

Upvote 9
Hi; NOPE, they are 1600's to VERY early 1700's. Notice the Clam Shell Pattern. They are Classic Pieces ok. Great Finds. Now you have to find the other parts.!!! :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Thanks Barker! Didn't have a clue. Both pieces were recovered within 100 feet of each other.

Hi; The reason the spoon parts were close to each other is they were probably thrown out with the trash. Kids were not really allowed to play with the spoons for digging because they were too valuable of a household commodity ok. Nice Finds. There MUST be more there. The reason for the great age difference is that everything back then was passed down from one person in the family to the next. This processs kept going until the item either broke or was lost somehow ok. So a spoon could have stayed in the family for 100 or more years ok. Enjoy your finds. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:
Congrats on the Pewter McCDig. I can you are still pulling the goods in that field.

Congratualtions on the nice relic find! :occasion14:

I'm not certain how they work, exactly. But, sometimes, stamps like this are a date code. Many examples online.
I don't know if they apply to pewter or just precious metals though.

In any case, just another example of the age of the ground there. Whether it's original ground or some that had
been moved around is hard to say.

Good piece of history!
Onward ! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back