saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7379a.jpgIMG_7380a.jpg

In October 2021, I found a gold coin on the beach. It was one of my best finds up until then. Well, I have now tied it. (See my post from October 23, 2021)

Due to hurricane Debbie blowing up the east coast of Florida last week and then, across to the Atlantic, it stirred up a lot of the ocean and beaches. I noticed there were several new sand bars at low tide, about 150 feet offshore. The sand bars were dry or only had about 2” of water on them at low tide. Therefore, I decided to give them a try. For the longest time I found nothing, then I got a hit. When I dug it up, about 8” deep, it was another one of the Pedro gold coins – also known as Pirate Gold.

I was shocked. While this one is not in as good condition as the first one I found, it is still in very good shape.

What is also amazing is later that same evening, I met another man using a detector and he was excited because he had just found one as well, about 200 yards further down the beach, also on a sand bar. I explained to him what it was and he got even more excited!

As with the previous coin I found, I will get it certified when I get back home. These type coins were stolen from the Spanish by pirates in the Caribbean.

I have searched the area several more times, but with no luck.

The facts of this gold coin are:

Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1702 UNC Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Lisbon mint. This type was minted in Lisbon 1683-1706 and was the largest gold coin prior to the introduction of the peça (6400 réis), at which time the moidore was reduced to 8.06 g. The reduced size moidore was struck only in Brazil. For 1702, medal and coin rotations are known. Specification: 10.78 g, .917 fine gold.

Attachments

• IMG_7380a.jpg
    IMG_7380a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 10
I am sorry to be the one to break it to you but this is a modern copy / fantasy piece.
I am not so sure. The first one I found I had it appraised at two different places and they said it was real and gave me a certificate of authenticity - and wanted to buy it.

I will find out.

I am sorry to be the one to break it to you but this is a modern copy / fantasy piece.
I’ll start of by saying I am not questioning you. For my knowledge, how did you determine it’s a replica? Is it the little grey spots on the coin, size, or something else?

Here's the OP's first coin original posting thread:
Don in SoCal

Reactions: ARC
View attachment 2164456View attachment 2164457

Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1702 UNC Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Lisbon mint. This type was minted in Lisbon 1683-1706 and was the largest gold coin prior to the introduction of the peça (6400 réis), at which time the moidore was reduced to 8.06 g. The reduced size moidore was struck only in Brazil. For 1702, medal and coin rotations are known. Specification: 10.78 g, .917 fine gold.
This information you posted pertains to the coin you found before... not to this coin... for this is not the same coin.
The coin you have posted this time is a copy. IMO
You asked how i know...
Well... when you have seen a lot of things... you tend to know something eventually. :)

Listen... I would love to be wrong on this for your sake.
But this coin lacks the attributions / details that would make it a real cob.
It is not just suspect... its highly suspect... again IMO.

View attachment 2164456View attachment 2164457

The facts that you have stated are for this coin.

Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 8.50.19 AM.png

This was the coin that you found previously October 23, 2021

Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 7.20.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 7.21.01 AM.png

This is the coin that you found now.

Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 7.22.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 7.23.57 AM.png

You seem to have the facts regarding the latest coin mixed up with the previous recovery.

Last edited:
The facts that you have stated are for this coin.

View attachment 2164612

This was the coin that you found previously October 23, 2021

View attachment 2164600View attachment 2164601

This is the coin that you found now.

View attachment 2164602View attachment 2164603

You seem to have the facts regarding the latest coin mixed up with the previous recovery.
I only repeated what you stated.
THIS coin is the one i am referring to... and don't know why you included information from another coin on this coins thread to begin with.
In fact i will retract the above statement i made of it being a "copy"... for it is not a copy of anything...
For...
This coin does not even exist to begin with be copied from.
Therefore ... and hence....
It is a completely "made up" fake coin.
Sorry...
and hard to swallow i see....
but .....
it is....
what it is....
AND...
what it is not.
heh

Last edited:
I only repeated what you stated.
This coin is the one i am referring to... and don't know why you included information from another coin on this coins thread to begin with.
In fact i will retract the above statement i made of it being a "copy"... for it is not a copy of anything...
For...
This coin does not even exist to begin with be copied from.
Therefore ... and hence....
It is a completely "made up" fake coin.
To show the OP and the readership what his facts were actually.
He's given an ID that was for his other recovery.

To show the OP and the readership what his facts were actually.
He's given an ID that was for his other recovery.
There are no facts to this coin.... for it is not a coin.
The facts of another coin... really..... dont belong here at all.

The other coin should not even be talked about in this thread AS it ONLY adds confusion IMO.

At best / most a link ONLY should have been added to the other coins thread.

There are no facts to this coin.... for it is not a coin.
The facts of another coin... really..... dont belong here at all.

The other coin should not even be talked about in this thread AS it ONLY adds confusion IMO.

At best / most a link ONLY should have been added to the other coins thread.
So he posts a fake.
Then gives an ID for that coin.
But you're saying nobody should of pointed that out?

So he posts a fake.
Then gives an ID for that coin.
But you're saying nobody should of pointed that out?
Bah... i am lost on this at this point and too bored and uninterested (no offense) to re read it all and sleuth it all out.
Re address another time.

Bah... i am lost on this at this point and too bored and uninterested (no offense) to re read it all and sleuth it all out.
Re address another time.
Well it's pretty simple his ID.
Screenshot_20240818_185154_Chrome.jpg

Look it up then you'll realize that it is totally incorrect.

But it you choose to let mistakes slide. No problem either.

• Haha
Wow. I did not mean to create such hostile responses.

When I started this post, I had just found the coin and it looked like the original one I found. I assumed it was of the same heritage.

My mistake. I am sorry. I was not trying to fool anyone or cause any problems here.

I still plan on taking it by the local coin shop I deal with and I will get back to you.

No matter what, it was a find find and isn't that what we all are doing here - just trying to have some fun??

Wow. I did not mean to create such hostile responses.

When I started this post, I had just found the coin and it looked like the original one I found. I assumed it was of the same heritage.

My mistake. I am sorry. I was not trying to fool anyone or cause any problems here.

I still plan on taking it by the local coin shop I deal with and I will get back to you.

No matter what, it was a find find and isn't that what we all are doing here - just trying to have some fun??
No worries... no hostility... more matter of fact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back