Second Fall Hunt Yields Second Coin - SPANISH SILVER

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after an eventful summer of Spanish silver, the fall season began two weeks ago for Bill and I. At that hunt, i recovered my first coin of the fall and yesterday was #2 - a cut 1700's Spanish Pistareen. It was a beautiful day to be out, a little warm in the afternoon, but we were on the relics so it did not matter.

We started the day and spent 75% of it at a site that I looked forward to going to all summer. The field was not in the most pristine of conditions but it did not take long to zero in on the site. Bill had a good day as well and started us off right (will let him tell you about it) but shortly thereafter I joined in with my silver coin.

The site had relics from the 1600's to the early 1800s. I totaled 15 buttons (not including a CW era Navy that I somehow dropped back in the field) and a pile of other lead and brass. My favorite buttons are the 1600's nipple button and late 1700's plated dandy button. I also recovered part of an early 1700's scissor or candle snuffer. This site also had an abundance of thimbles - of which I recovered two. A nice shield, early bit boss (partially broken) and a grouping of complete and broken buckles rounded out the day.

The "what is it" was recovered at a second site along with a couple of the buttons. This site has yielded relics from the 1500s (1600s occupation) It is solid brass, no holes and might have been broken off at one end. The other has a "head" molded to it similar to a nail or spike. We are off and rolling and I am looking forward to it.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    986.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    849.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 127
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    561.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    871.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    744 KB · Views: 108
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    669.6 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 16
Hey Dan, the silver is of course awesome. One of the buttons you found really caught my eye for some reason. It is a beauty! Look forward to seeing how the competition heats up in the next few months.

View attachment 1071826

Thanks Beez - that was one of the last buttons that I dug at the site - one of my favorites as well.

Great bunch of finds! Good start into the fall season! The decorated button is a top piece!

Another mystery that I spotted is a find you have that just says "patent" here in your picture.

image-3829163502.jpg

I found a object not to long ago from a old cellar hole with the same thing on it. I wonder what it they are?

image-2217942630.jpg

Another mystery that I spotted is a find you have that just says "patent" here in your picture.

View attachment 1071936

I found a object not to long ago from a old cellar hole with the same thing on it. I wonder what it they are?

View attachment 1071939

Thanks man - my piece is a broken fly cover to an early padlock (probably early-mid 1800s) Yours looks like a suspender clip, though without seeing the back it is tough to tell for sure.

I was thinking some sort of clip but I wonder why they say "patent". Here's a pic of the back of mine.

image-1465520310.jpg

Good stuff as always.

Now that's a pile of goodies there…love the spanish, still looking for my first piece of cut silver...

Dan - Terrific sites. Great finds. I'm looking forward to your future posts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back