Seateds, Spanish, Weird Silver, and a BIG TWO REALES!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We went out for a three day digging marathon before the rains threatened to wash us all away here in LA. Here's the amazing video:

The first day things were slow, and I got some junk and a few buttons, none of which turned out to be anything. Then I got a decent beep and was thinking just another pack rivet. Turned out to be a worn, dateless half real! LOVE that 1700s silver no matter what condition it's in!

IMG_9043.JPEG

Later on I got another decent signal in the swarm of iron nails and saw a silver reeded edge!

IMG_9047.JPEG

Turned out to be one of the nicest condition half dimes I've dug! 1854!

Also nabbed a cuff-sized Civil War eagle button. Great to find those, as I haven't dug as many cuffs as coats over the years. This one was washed out laying right on top!

IMG_9069.jpeg

Also got a couple shield nickles in the iron patch. Here's one:

IMG_9068.jpeg

Then I dug a 1786 Half Real right at the closing bell! Shang was about to leave! Great to see ANOTHER one!!

IMG_9090.JPEG

Then of course, as it ALWAYS does in Louisiana, it rained. :BangHead:

So we got out in the mud and dug more! :laughing7: Here's a cool, muddy, misty panorama.

IMG_9268.jpg

Saw some spider webs with dew:

IMG_9265.JPEG

Well the finds of the day were silver! One was a great colonial silver shoe buckle fragment Shang dug! The other was a mystery silver coin. Sounded like a dime on the F75 but looked like nothing I'd ever seen! Turns out it was an 1898 Hong Kong silver dime. :icon_scratch: I would LOVE to know how a coin minted in London then shipped to Hong Kong came to rest in a Louisiana sugarcane field!

IMG_9274.JPEG

By Day 3 the mud had dried up for the most part in one of our sites so we got to it. Well, the day started off with a BANG! I dug ANOTHER half real--an 1819 Ferdinand! Decent shape on this little coin, and even though it's not technically colonial, I ain't complaining!

IMG_9292.JPEG IMG_9293.JPEG

Then shangalang dug a cannonball fragment, nice large chunk, and lo and behold he starts yelling in the field like he's got a swarm of bees after him. Turns out it's a BIG silver edge poking out of a big dirt clod:

IMG_9295.JPEG 212_1672.JPG

We got the camera rolling and he pulled out a BIG FAT CAP AND RAYS TWO REALES!!!

IMG_9296.JPEG IMG_9298.JPEG

You're gonna have to see this coin up close in HIS post, because he's posting it separately--which a great find like this deserves!

Here are my digs for the marathon:

IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2007ROTATED.jpg IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2023.JPG

Hope y'all are able to get out and dig! We just had a boatload of rain here, so our plans are "stuck" for now! :laughing9:

Cheers,

Buck

Upvote 29
Amazing, amazing finds. When I saw LA I thought Los Angeles. I couldn’t figure out how you found all that around there. Now I realize you mean Louisiana haha. Wow. My jaw is sill on the floor.

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations on a fantastic hunt! Well done!

Wow, great hunt...that 1/2 dime is in amazing condition! :occasion14:

Wow, one amazing awesome find after another and all were bucket listers for a lot of people too! Still killing it down there

Amazing finds! Congrats!

Amazing, amazing finds. When I saw LA I thought Los Angeles. I couldn’t figure out how you found all that around there. Now I realize you mean Louisiana haha. Wow. My jaw is sill on the floor.

Thanks so much for your reply buddy! Cheers, and HH!

Wow, one amazing awesome find after another and all were bucket listers for a lot of people too! Still killing it down there

We do a lot of permission-getting, and a long days of digging, coupled with some good research. All pays off in the end. :)

Nice finds. Love those cap and rays mexican reales. I found two last year and you sure dont see them posted often

Your hunts are my dreams. Congratulations on the 2 reales never found a 2 or a 4 yet. Great video BuckleBoy

This rain’s been killing me. This week looks great thank the Lord.

Last edited:
That is an excellent hunt! Like Washingtonian my first thought was about how these items came from CA! It pays to read the whole post. Really nice coins though! That halfdime is almost perfect! and the Reales?! I'd lose my mind! Interestingly I found my first Hong Kong dime a couple weeks ago. Mine was from 1866 minted there in Hong Kong. I was really excited about finding that coin! Congrats on it all!

Man, that's some awesome finds. Surely do enjoy your pics and posts, always learning. Thanks!

Awesome digs as always, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back