Searched my yard today for the 1st time!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was wet but mild again here in Rhode Island today, so I left early this morning and hit the beach. Nothing but clad going on, so I called it quits after an hour and headed home. After another hour of raking the back yard, I grabbed the Pioneer 101 and hit the yard. Covered about 1/4 of the back yard in an hour, came up with a few clads, lots of nails, and a strange find. It was a modern foil coffee bag rolled up and taped up with filament tape. When I cut it open with my trusty pocket knife, I found four keys, two newer ones and two older ones. I am stumped as to how these came to be where they were. I have lived here for four years, and we have never lost keys like this. I believe they belonged to the previous owner, who owned the home since it was built in the early 50's. I can understand someone rolling up their spare keys and hiding them in the back yard under a rock, or some prominent landscape feature as backups, but these were well off the beaten path, smack dab ib the middle of the lawn, about 4" down! Who knows, some mysteries will forever go unsolved! Nothing great, just keys and clads, but I thought the keys were an interesting find!

Upvote 0
Larry, and everyone else, thanks for the ID help on the keys. I figured they were for the house, or at least a house, it was just strange finding them where they were. Right in the middle of the lawn, not a very logical place to hide spare keys. I guess they were just spare keys that got lost somehow! Thanks again, and HH!!

Nah, i still feel they were put there for a reason. Something packaged like that was intended for a stay in the ground. Even if accidently dropped it would had to have sat there a long while to finally work its way into the ground because of the resistance to a bundle that size. I think it would have been spotted laying there and picked up before finally sinking below ground. I guess we'll never know?

Maybe we will, True Metal. I am, of course, keeping the keys in my "treasure box", and if I ever find a box in the house, or buried in the yard with a lock on it, you can bet those keys will be used to try to open it! And if so, you guys will be the first to know (as long as you promise not to tell my wife!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back