Permission Methods

• Total voters

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Even though I still like a "newbie", I have seen a number of treasure finds in school yards. My first assumption is permission was asked for and obtained but it appears that some hunters wait till a holiday or weekend, which leads one to assume (and we all know what "assume" means!) that they went on their own when no one was around.

Obviously, obtaining permission is the correct methodology but I'm interested in hearing how some of you go about that. Who do you ask? What kind of luck have you had obtaining permissions? etc.

wesfrye53 said:
Even though I still like a "newbie", I have seen a number of treasure finds in school yards. My first assumption is permission was asked for and obtained but it appears that some hunters wait till a holiday or weekend, which leads one to assume (and we all know what "assume" means!) that they went on their own when no one was around.

Obviously, obtaining permission is the correct methodology but I'm interested in hearing how some of you go about that. Who do you ask? What kind of luck have you had obtaining permissions? etc.

Go to the front office and ask to speak to the principal. Even then you should wait 'till the weekend to actually hunt and will probably be asked to do that anyway.

Most people consider school grounds to be public property. If it's OK to hunt public property in your area, go for it. If not, start by talking to the maintenance guys.

Nobody hunts while school is in session.

DCMatt

Thanks Charlie! I had figured that would be how I'd do it but then had visions of school board involvement, council approvals, etc. Since I work for the government I have seen firsthand how we can turn a simple request into a major issue.

If it's a public school, then it's a public school. No permission needed. I suspect if some school personell ever took issue with anyone detecting, it was not necessarily because "permission was needed", but rather, that they though you might leave holes. If it is open for other after-school usage, like to use the basketball hoops, or jog the track, or whatever, then think of yourself as no different than anyone else.

Here in CA, a lot of city's schools have put up fences in recent years, but there is usually still a pedestrian gate opening, that's not fully shut. I heard that the reason for these fences and "permission to pass revokable ... blah blah" signs, was because of lawsuits like the following true story:

In some Los Angeles suburb, a young married couple took their infant kid to the local school yard playground equipment. They were pushing the kid down the slide, when he fell over the side and was permanently injured :-[ I don't know the age of the infant, but he was still in diapers, however young that is! The parents sued the school district, and WON! Now I don't know what kind of sense it takes for parents of a kid that young, to go pushing him down a slide, but seems to me THEY should be held responsible for the safety of their kid, not the school district.

The person telling me this story says that one day they showed up to detect their favorite schools, and found these fences and signs. They then found out that this lawsuit was the reason why. Nothing to do with metal detecting. People still use the park, by going through the turnstyles or narrow openings where the students go through. I guess it (the signs or fences) is enough that if, in the future, some moron did injure himself, the schools could say "well he shouldn't have been there", etc... The truth is no one usually cares, but is just protecting themselves from litigation. The average schools in my area still has ball games, kite flyers, dog walkers, etc... after school hours. So I will not consider myself any different from them. To ask, you'll only get the obligatory "no", when in fact, the odds are, no one really cared.

If it's a public school, then it's a public school. No permission needed.

WRONG! In case you haven't seen a newspaper or watched TV in the last 10 years - folks are bug knutz about their kids safety in school. If an unknown adult is on my wife's school grounds (K-6 grades) while classes are in session they have a code announcement and the whole school goes into lock-down. You'll be in handcuffs in the back of a police cruiser in no time at all. I'm sure different schools and different communities react differently.

Under your logic we should all be able to detect on the White House lawn.

Hi Charlie, Of course no one would suggest to go while school is in session. Where did you hear/read that I suggested that? It is a "given" that you/I hunt afterschool. Sorry, lost ya there bro. Dunno where you got that.

And as for the jump in logic that my stance on pulbic schools would therefore make me think I can hunt the Whitehouse lawn: Why stop there? Sure, I guess I can hunt Shiloh, Bodie, Ft. Knox, or any other "public" place, right? Of course not! In the interest of not being too lengthy, I left off that this does not apply to the following: Obvious historical monuments, and/or specifically posted areas "No metal detecting", etc....

Keep it coming folks...this is exactly what I was hoping for; to be able to get some discussion on other's approaches!.

Ok common sense has to be used in all phases of life.....even metal detecting! I would say hunting on weekends, holidays and >>during the summer break is fine. But as anywhere else lets leave it as we found it and fill any additional holes we find on the way!

I find myself tending to agree with DFX-Gregg. If school yards are open to the public for various activities other than school-sponsored events, then weekends, holidays, and evenings should be fine. I've seen the normal activities in a school yard close to me, along, with skateboarding, working on cars, etc. etc. I would think that if the philosophy of leaving our activities as we find it and filling any additional holes would be acceptable.

Just because a place is public doesn't mean it's legal. Here's a post I found from last year in Nashville area and I was also told the same thing from a park ranger years ago in another park in metro. The ranger told me it was a $500.00 fine if caught but he was nice about it and just let me know that it wasn't legal. FYI. Is there a way to find the local laws of metal detecting?

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?topic=28761.0;prev_next=next

I hunt at local schools but as common sense would dictate, not during times that children are present. Mostly on weekends. Most of the schools around here have fenced in portions and I do not go into that part of the school yard. The fence was put there for a reason and I can take a hint..lol I have had many police officers stop by to find out what I had found, but then again I know a lot of them in the local area. Btw...if I was asked to leave, I would do so without question. Thats just my thoughts....

riverpie said:
Just because a place is public doesn't mean it's legal. Here's a post I found from last year in Nashville area and I was also told the same thing from a park ranger years ago in another park in metro. The ranger told me it was a $500.00 fine if caught but he was nice about it and just let me know that it wasn't legal. FYI. Is there a way to find the local laws of metal detecting?

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?topic=28761.0;prev_next=next
Welcome to Tnet btw River....My advice to you on your local detecting laws would go to the law enforcement authority governing the place you want to hunt. Most of the time they will give you good advice because they will be the ones that are enforcing the laws.

You might check around to see if there is any local clubs. Most of them have either copies of the local ordinances or personal knowledge of certain areas no permissable. Just for info. our club has permission on city owned properties.

Riverpie, yes, it's understood that just because something is public, doesn't mean you can detect there, but why do you assume that we can't detect? Where does it stop? How paranoid do we have to be? I wouldn't ask to use the swing-set, or drink from the fountain, because it's inherently understood that those are not questionable or illegal activities, right? So in the SAME way, I do not assume that the hobby of metal detecting is somehow inherently evil or illegal. If you start thinking of yourself and your hobby in that way, then it will be a self-fullfilling prophesy.

I remember when I first got into this hobby, in the mid 1970s, someone who had been detecting for longer than me made the comment that "schools in such and such town, (30 minutes from us) were off-limits". I never had any reason to question this person, as I was the newbie. Years later, my friends and I would often detect the schools in that very town, and no one ever said a thing to us. Later, I bumped into that earlier fellow, and asked him where he got his information. Turns out he knew someone who had been booted from a single school, by a single janitor, on a single day, for who-knows-what reason. When the md'r had asked "why?" the janitor just said "because it's not allowed". The md'r left, and spread the word that detecting schools in this town was not legal. The rumor just spread. It was probably nothing more that a single hunter leaving holes, or perhaps an event was just about to start, or who knows what.

Tom in CA:

Kinda coming down hard on riverpie. She was told it was illegal by a law enforcement officer (the Park Rangers in Nashville are no different than the Metro Police with relation to Metro Parks). As a result, there wasn't an assumption on her part but first hand knowledge from a law enforcement officer...a bit different from a janitor.

My whole idea was to find out how to legally detect on certain property; in my case, schools. As I stated earlier, as a government employee I have seen how a simple request can get blown out of proportion and I am really hoping for some ideas as to how to prevent that by using tested methods by others. A question asked by rivepie was the best place to look for local laws, ordinances, statutes, etc. and hopefully someone will provide some good information.

Thanks to all for the replies...hope I get more!

Remember sometimes the people telling you that you are not allowed may be clueless! I respect the groundskeepers in the park and often get dirty looks from the ones who keep the grass looking great. I will avoid areas that are newly sodded. If you are nervous about hunting an area...simple.don't. Plenty of areas to hunt in large cities/suburbs.

I appreciate everybody's opinion and I see where Tom in Ca is coming from. It's just I did verify the information and I don't want to get fined $500. or more. It's the same for all Tn. State property and all Metro Parks. Here's how they both read.

The destroying, digging, cutting, removing, or possession of any tree, shrub, or other plant is prohibited without a permit granted by the Director of Parks and Recreation. The use of any mineral or metal detecting device capable of detecting the underground or underwater location of geological, archaeological or historical objects or materials is prohibited. Provided, however, that this section shall not apply to:

fathometers, radar equipment and electronic equipment used primarily for the navigation and safe operation of boats and aircraft;
to persons possessing a permit from the State Archaeologist to conduct legitimate archaeological research when such permit is signed by the Director of Parks and Recreation; and
to an individual engaged in a limited search for a lost item under supervision of the park Superintendent.

I probably wouldn't get fined unless I went back after I was told not to. The ranger I talked to was really nice and actually saved me because I was hunting by myself that day in a bad part of town. A bad looking stranger was heading my way so I was glad the ranger showed up when he did. I wouldn't have made it to my car in time (I was trying). It's really not that safe going by yourself. Most people are just curious but you never know.
I haven't found anything against hunting the schools yet though. I agree with checking with the local club. They probably have all the info. you want on the local areas.

I called on a property today and the guy said he wouldn't give me permission (for liability reasons) but also wanted me to know he wouldn't be checking on the property for quite a while. It's for sale by a large company and used to have an old stone home on it. He was letting me know he didn't really care but didn't want to get sued. Would you hunt it or not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back