School Houses? Anyone ever try any?

I checked it out, it was a little too close to neighboring houses. Public or not, I don't want to next to someone's backyard without permission. But I found another school house right in a town forest. I went metal detecting there before, in a trashy section, luckily now I have my Google Earth overlay to find out where to go. I assume that this place has been metal detected quite a bit though, but it is worth a try!

Holy carp! The woods for the town forest place look beautiful from the street view! No annoying little bushes, just orange leaves on the ground and tall narrow trees.

I see a structure on a 1960's historic aerials map, right where my placemark on Google Earth is. It was gone by the 1970's.

According to the old book written on the town history, very close to the east of the school house is the site of one of the first settler's cellar hole. In the same area was a camp in the early 1700's, labelled on the map.

The book comes with a map of the town labeling each school house number, and other interesting places. A written passage mentions the site next to the school house.

Last edited:
These can be very good sites if use was enough for losses to occur ..Ive hunted some and only found a few coins.. One has been giving up finds for alot of years ..the first year I found it was an un-hunted site.not alot of silver but alot of 5 cent /1 cent coins an 1844 LC 1 Seated Dime .. (is a plowed field ) Getting permission is hard to secure sometimes but just common sense for coin hunters..recent finds from this site..one a NY Button C. 1850s -60s..Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    741.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3670.JPG
    IMG_3670.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
Nice finds! I was able to roughly figure out the location of the early cellar hole site. I think that the camps are newer than I thought, probably early 1800's.

There was also an early cellar hole slightly south of the school house, not sure if it is still there though, I am going by the the 1800's account mentioning a cellar hole.

Also, the school house is from the early 1850's.

Last edited:
There's a chapter on cellar holes in this book, I will have to look at it tomorrow.

Plenty of "pounded sites" give up goodies ! So much so that it's become a standing joke here - home owner says " go ahead and hunt it , but just so you know , me and my brother hunted it already , so you won't find nuthin " Good luck ! I would hunt a ways out from the structure locations , nearby wooded areas etc.

Before jumping into cellars holes, look out for snakes. They bit, and to snakes, people are free food and taste like chicken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back