Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made a quick trip down to the Low Country with my Dad for a day and came away with two great buttons.
Pewter Block I is in so-so shape and appears to have been burnt. Shank still in tact and first pewter of these that I have dug.
SC Navy is my second of that variety and this one in much better shape. Not too much known about these and even though there are a decent number of examples out there, still considered rare. Found most exclusively in the Charleston area.
Rounded the hunt out with flats, shield nickel, nice butt plate and a small, ornate silver buckle.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• SC Navy.jpg
    SC Navy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • Group close up 2.jpg
    Group close up 2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Resized952018020295075503.jpg
    Resized952018020295075503.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20180131_132641.jpeg
    20180131_132641.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 24
Awesome SC navy button! First one I've seen. Love diggin old military buttons, especially South Carolina buttons! Huge congrats! The block I is also very nice.

LOVE the patina on that SC Navy...great hunt!

Ah yes, patina. Good eye mate. This sweet old navy button has been incubating a long while waiting to be recovered showing off it's gorgeous green goodness. LOVE IT!

Gold is gorgeous and silver is sweet BUT, nothing states as clearly "Hey, I am OLD" as copper, brass, bronze recoveries. The patina on that Navy button is delicious! Amazing relic hunt mate! Well done.

Gold is gorgeous and silver is sweet BUT, nothing states as clearly "Hey, I am OLD" as copper, brass, bronze recoveries. The patina on that Navy button is delicious! Amazing relic hunt mate! Well done.

You are so right! Old brass and copper especially when it comes out of that sugar sand of the low country is as pretty as it gets!

Big congrats. I learned something today, as I’ve never seen one of those SC buttons.

Best of luck to you.

Geez I looked at the beauty and then started to look it up and fell down that rabbit hole called research.:laughing7:

So the third time I'll say congrats on the great looking button and hunt.

Geez I looked at the beauty and then started to look it up and fell down that rabbit hole called research.:laughing7:

So the third time I'll say congrats on the great looking button and hunt.

Thanks PepperJ-easy to do!
Again, not too much on it. Albert (the edition I have) has it added at back of book and has it listed as NA 10B. Believe this button is attributed to a pre 1812 militia navy.
Hopefully someone can chime in that has done some better research.

Silverstein says these buttons were produced in very limited quantities and 6 or 7 are known to exsist so I guess that number goes up with the 2 you own.

What a hunt... You don't see many Pewter Block I's and finding one of those alone would make my year.
That SC Navy button is way cool, and I have never seen one. Such a cool design. Finding both of those in a single hunt would put me through the roof.
I gota look in my books for the SC Navy. Defintely a Banner worthy button.

Russ, both of the buttons are killer! And I really like the silver buckle-possibly a knee buckle? If you would post a close-up of it that would be great. It's a great find all on its own that is getting overshadowed by the rarity of the buttons.

What a hunt... You don't see many Pewter Block I's and finding one of those alone would make my year.
That SC Navy button is way cool, and I have never seen one. Such a cool design. Finding both of those in a single hunt would put me through the roof.
I gota look in my books for the SC Navy. Defintely a Banner worthy button.

thanks for comment-I have dug more I buttons than any other confederate letter and that was my first I. Had that been it, I would have had a great hunt!

Russ, both of the buttons are killer! And I really like the silver buckle-possibly a knee buckle? If you would post a close-up of it that would be great. It's a great find all on its own that is getting overshadowed by the rarity of the buttons.

Thanks Glenn-I will try and get a close up picture but don't think knee buckle-too thin. Great design on it and probably more delicate use. Small sash or like.
Anytime you can dig old silver, it is a good day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back