Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made a quick trip down to the Low Country with my Dad for a day and came away with two great buttons.
Pewter Block I is in so-so shape and appears to have been burnt. Shank still in tact and first pewter of these that I have dug.
SC Navy is my second of that variety and this one in much better shape. Not too much known about these and even though there are a decent number of examples out there, still considered rare. Found most exclusively in the Charleston area.
Rounded the hunt out with flats, shield nickel, nice butt plate and a small, ornate silver buckle.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• SC Navy.jpg
    SC Navy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • Group close up 2.jpg
    Group close up 2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Resized952018020295075503.jpg
    Resized952018020295075503.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20180131_132641.jpeg
    20180131_132641.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 24
That was one awesome dig.

Russ great dig with your Dad. Amazing Rare Navy button and now you have 2. I have to say button deserves to be on banner row. I can only remember another like it dug and posted years ago. I believe it was found in same area of SC this one came from

Last edited:
Is that butt plate steel or brass?

Very cool buttons congratulations :icon_thumleft:

Palmetto, Great hunt along with some very nice CW relics. I really like the pewter cast I and the S.C. Naval button along with the butt plate. Well Done.

Is that butt plate steel or brass?

Joe-Dirt, it is brass. Small US stamped near lower screw hole. Think it is to a Springfield?

LOVE the patina on that SC Navy...great hunt!

Joe-Dirt, it is brass. Small US stamped near lower screw hole. Think it is to a Springfield?
Possibly from a brass mounted m1855 Springfield, m1863 Remington, m1841 or even a Richmond, hard to tell from that angle, nice find though!

Last edited:
Excellent hunt

That button must be fairly rare just based on the fact its the only one I remember being posted on here - congrats, it's patina looks great!

Killer hunt, congratulations! :notworthy:

That button must be fairly rare just based on the fact its the only one I remember being posted on here - congrats, it's patina looks great!

Cru the last button like this that was posted was in 2007 if I remember correctly.So it's definitely a button that you don't see often.

Last edited:
Cru the last button like this that was posted was in 2007 if I remember correctly.So it's definitely a button that you don't see often.
Seeing as thats the year I joined Tnet, makes sense!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back