Sand Shark Question ??

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
minelab Sov. GT, minelab Excal II, Fisher CZ21, minelab Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have 2 minelabs the Sovereign GT and the Excal II and just purchased a brand new out of the box Sand Shark.
Now my question is : is the Sand Shark threshhold suppose to vary in tone most all the time ?
I am used to the Minelabs STEADY TONE or pitch but this Sand Shark tone varies in pitch (not volume.)
I can find no way to adjust this machine to get it to settle down. :BangHead:
I am on the east coast of Georgia and work the salt water & wet sand.
Could someone please give me a little insight on this?
dontknow.gif

Thanks in advance !!

You should have a steady threshold in both Normal and VCO mode. Set your pulse width at about 230pm, and your Threshold around 12-1pm, and your volume to ear. If you cannot get the threshold to steady out, make sure you are running your coil cable straight up the lower shaft, and not wrapping it the way it is shown in the manual. Wrap only ABOVE the lower coil. The other concern is EMI with Pulse machines. If you just can't get it to settle out, Call Rusty Henry at Tesoro, and run it by him.

I have 2 minelabs the Sovereign GT and the Excal II and just purchased a brand new out of the box Sand Shark.
Now my question is : is the Sand Shark threshhold suppose to vary in tone most all the time ?
I am used to the Minelabs STEADY TONE or pitch but this Sand Shark tone varies in pitch (not volume.)
I can find no way to adjust this machine to get it to settle down. :BangHead:
I am on the east coast of Georgia and work the salt water & wet sand.
Could someone please give me a little insight on this?
dontknow.gif

Thanks in advance !!

The tone waviers in vco or normal . I'll try that Terry next time out to the beach, and if that doesn't work will go to another beach to see if it's emi.

Thanks guys !!

You should have a steady threshold in both Normal and VCO mode. Set your pulse width at about 230pm, and your Threshold around 12-1pm, and your volume to ear. If you cannot get the threshold to steady out, make sure you are running your coil cable straight up the lower shaft, and not wrapping it the way it is shown in the manual. Wrap only ABOVE the lower coil. The other concern is EMI with Pulse machines. If you just can't get it to settle out, Call Rusty Henry at Tesoro, and run it by him.

Terry, or others, can you please explain the why of this and how it will perform better. Should your post also read "wrap only above the lower shaft"?

I have a SS, several years old and works fine, one of the later units with the removable coil.

I run two long helix wraps on the plastic portion of the shaft,then tight wrap the excess just below the "S" bend. I prefer to keep the coil wire secured so that it does not get damaged in the surf.

I want to further optimize performance and am curious if the wire route you mention will help.

Any photos of your rig posted on TN or possible for you to upload so we can see a visual of the wire route?

PK

Last edited:
Terry, or others, can you please explain the why of this and how it will perform better. Should your post also read "wrap only above the lower shaft"?

I have a SS, several years old and works fine, one of the later units with the removable coil.

I run two long helix wraps on the plastic portion of the shaft,then tight wrap the excess just below the "S" bend. I prefer to keep the coil wire secured so that it does not get damaged in the surf.

I want to further optimize performance and am curious if the wire route you mention will help.

Any photos of your rig posted on TN or possible for you to upload so we can see a visual of the wire route?

PK

I have no empirical evidence to back my theory other than personal experience on the beach. In my own tests, wrapping the cable wire down close to the coil INCREASED EMI on one of the beaches I love to hit that has a CCTV system. I talked to a buddy that suggested I try this style of wrap, and it cut the interference in half!

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 174
I have no empirical evidence to back my theory other than personal experience on the beach. In my own tests, wrapping the cable wire down close to the coil INCREASED EMI on one of the beaches I love to hit that has a CCTV system. I talked to a buddy that suggested I try this style of wrap, and it cut the interference in half!

Thanks.
Mine is similar but different. I have the same number turns of wire on the plastic pole area. I did wrap the rest of the wire, further up the on the handle than yours.

Unrelated, and maybe yours is done this way also, the oem coil alignment seemed to always have me catching an edge on the side to side swing. I removed the metal pin clip on the plastic rod. Using the clamp, I made some test swings to optimize the coils angle in relation to the rod "S"bend. Then carefully redrilled the plastic rod. Reinstalled the pin clip. Basically customized the ergonomics for a better swing. While not 100% reversible, the pin clip can be installed back into the original holes, and the plastic rod merely has two additional holes that would be covered by the aluminum handle anyway.

Thanks again
PK

PK

Coils in radios are tuned by moving a metal slug into or out of the coil. Removing coil that has no metal core would tune the remaining coil to have the slug(metal core) completely in the remaining coil of wire. Apparently this tunes out some interference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back