sand scoops are too exspensive-better homemade.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Well after checking out what was on the market.we decided to make are own.
Sandscoops for the money they want it can be made for half that!
My first was a coffee can drilled with 1/2 inch holes all around and on the botton,with a garage door handle.It worked but my back was killing me from
bending over.The next one we made from 6 inch aluminum irrigation pipe
i found at the junk yard. Twelve inches long.I drilled fifty holes in rings around
off setting the holes.and leaving the top with a space for a brace.The back was a piece of 3/16 Aluminium with1/2 holes drilled and four tabs for mounting.I used an old aluminum
mop handle and flattened the first inch and bent it over at a 90 degree angel and
screwed it to the plate on the back.( I used all stainless steel screws) the handle Had a rubber end. But Handel bar ends from a bicycle would work.I used a piece of the handle for the brace to the front.My cost was 3 dollars and two hours labor.A far cry from 47.00 they want for a store bought one.I'm sorry
but I don't have a camera to send pictures,but you get the Idea.Please send your
pictures of your home made sand scoop.we need more Ideas.

forget it coffee can is crap
use stainless steel strainer of some type

I've seen some nice homemade scoops made with wire.
RR

$47.00 wouldn't even come close to what I paid for my scoop. The ease of use and ability to move huge amounts of sand with one scoop was worth the purchase price.

:D It is poor economy to go cheap on the scoop that you will use for a lifetime. Replacing homemade scoop, handles, labor to drill holes, etc. can cost lots more in the long run. This isn't counting being out far from the truck when the scoops breaks an ya gotta walk back. Sure good scoops cost more, but they do well in all types of bottom material, not just dry sand.

Check out the Sunspot, http://www.sunspotedm.com/beachscoops/thescoop.html

Attachments

• Stealth Scoop.jpg
    Stealth Scoop.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 456
I cheaped out. Large coffee can, chunk of wire mesh, some rivets, nuts & bolts and the old handle off of my barn door. It has worked well for four years, in dry sand only, as my detector doesn't let me search out the stuff Sandman can get.

Attachments

• dcp_0001.jpg
    dcp_0001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 543
I've built a pile of home made sand scoops over the years.
They all did the job and I was never happy with one of them.

That stealth is looking better all the time.

R M P T R

Dry sand is a breeze, but if your going to hunt the wet beach sand you need some thing that is going to move massive amounts of sand quickly. The faster you can recover your target, the more targets you can hunt.

I spent a $100 for a used beach brute and it is worth every penny I spent...... It is a backhoe ;D

hey treasure hunter
If its so good send us a picture and a contact.

Here is the link for the Beach Brute. Notice the top partially closed in for deeping your find in the scoop while in the surf

When I started out wading I made a few sand scoops and they all fell apart with heavy use. Still they were also fun to make.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

There Treasure Hunter I corrected the link. It will work now.

I couldn't get Sandmans link to work. Here is a link for the Beach Brute 2 which replaced mine. Mine has a straighter shaft, but the other deminsions are the same. I added 2 extra handles welded to the shaft to make it easier to pull up buckets full of sand when in the surf chest deep.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

Dont cheap out!
Ull honestly make the money back you spend! Making up for time, worry, labor and every little time you dig asking is it going to break now! I got the beach brute and it is a monster! I have kicked the piss out of this thing for a year now and its still going strong! Plus Aluminum, Light weight and no rust! Its wellllllllllllllllll worth the purchase! If your a true hunter that is! ;)

Crackbadger

Holy Smokes those things are expensive! I could buy another MD at those prices! Of course if you beach hunt often it would be worth the expense. I'll probably get one of my boys to make me one. I don't go to the beach more than once or twice a year.

Ya,

Honestly, I almost SH@T myself when I walked up to the register at Kellyco and went to check out and shes like $200! IM LIKE ARE U FREAKIN CRAZY! But i bought it! Made an investment and have not once regretted it! Its truly worth it! IFFFF you hunt the beach like crazy! NO BEACH? NO BRUTE! But it does work great also digging for fossils and such!

CRACKBADGER

CB is right. I did luck out and buy mine used for $100. I am primarily a beach hunter, 75% of my hunting is at the beach.....

Knowing what I know now about it now after using it, I would pay full price if I had to. I am always looking for another scoop like it used.

I took the rubber grip off and slid a noodle down the shaft, the handle floats straight up if I let go of it in the water, plus it makes it comfortable when resting on my shoulder.

This scoop moves a lot of sand quickly, and when I am waist to chest deep in the surf I want to recover the target as quick as possible. (Drowning is not an option in this hobby) ;)

I call it my backhoe for a reason...... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back