San Felipe Creek 1812

I saw it. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I've been a metal detecting, gold prospecting, relic/antique hunter for a few years in So Cal. since 1978. Mostly interested in San Felipe/Carrizo wash treasure, Salton Sea, Lake Cahuilla, Lost desert ships, Pegleg, Banner, Julian and Imperial Valley which was once the bottom of Lake Cahuilla.

Attachments

• Ship trap Lake Cahuilla.jpg
    Ship trap Lake Cahuilla.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Brawley San Felipe Creek.jpg
    Brawley San Felipe Creek.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
From what I understand, years ago the San Felipe/Carrizo wash treasure site was located by a treasure hunter who owned a museum in San Diego CA. A coin cache was recovered and swords, Spanish crosses, old wagon ruts, and skeletons unearthed. As you might expect the BLM put up signs not to remove any objects. Since that time, I would suspect signs got removed to keep looters away.

From what I understand, years ago the San Felipe/Carrizo wash treasure site was located by a treasure hunter who owned a museum in San Diego CA. A coin cache was recovered and swords, Spanish crosses, old wagon ruts, and skeletons unearthed. As you might expect the BLM put up signs not to remove any objects. Since that time, I would suspect signs got removed to keep looters away.
I went out there a couple of winters ago, took my drone and got some excellent footage. we parked at the side of the S2 just to be safe and headed to the San Felipe/Carrizo wash Junction on foot all we saw were signs saying No motorized vehicles beyond this point. Anyway, that's all we went out there for(footage). years before I had found a pistol like the one pictured up the S2 at Banner Grade. Just pulled off to the side of the road for about an hour. Mine was missing the barrel and cylinder. Cylinder rod was intact. I was up there to do a gig so didn't have much time to continue metal detecting.

Attachments

• 1864-1870 Daniel Moore 32 teatfire.jpg
    1864-1870 Daniel Moore 32 teatfire.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Would that be George Mroczkowski?

I read in an article that in 1970 George and a couple of friends went out to that site and I've been trying to find out what month they went out there. If anyone knows?

Well, at the crossing they spotted animal tracks across soft wet material. I'm thinking they tried to cross another spot. You get flash flooding certain times of the year. After getting across soon were following old ruts maybe made by ox carts carrying loads of treasure plundered in Mexico. The old cart ruts lead to charred remains of the ox carts burned by Native Americans.

Would that be George Mroczkowski?

That probably is the name, he wrote a book getting it published through Charles Garrett's publishing. Charles Garrett has since passed away, came across his obituary once on the Internet. The book has the story on black gold nuggets found Salton Sea area, a photo of the guy holding a black nugget. The guy holding large black nugget in photo was murdered and nugget stolen, along with the story material going to an interview with magazine publisher.

Last edited:
ever hear of this story? article dated 1906. this was after the Imperial Valley Floods of 1905-06. I believe it may have been from one of the many lost ships in the desert as Lake Cahuilla was a ship trap. In Time what was left was the Salton Sea>

Attachments

• Ship trap Lake Cahuilla.jpg
    Ship trap Lake Cahuilla.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Brawley San Felipe Creek.jpg
    Brawley San Felipe Creek.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 1906 Brawley Gold find.jpg
    1906 Brawley Gold find.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 12
Good! I want to share this with you and ask your opinion. Read this and tell me exactly what questions come to mind?
Ramhorn:

If you look at the Treasure Legends Forums, you'll find sub-forums for several of the stories you cited.

The Garrett/RAM book mentioned above is Professional Treasure Hunter by George Mroczkowski.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Interesting stories guys. Thanks!

Yeah... you probably should check out the legend forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back