Salvaged Slate Full Groove Ax

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I found this salvaged slate full groove ax in '89 at a site that produced my first ax and also many others including what I consider one of the best three fourths grooved ax I have ever found.

Over the years I had found many axes, the majority of them being full groove and made of granite.

I have four slate axes in my collection and of these only one is relatively undamaged. I think its a 50/50 bet that most hardstone ax found may be relatively complete, the odds of finding a good relatively slate ax is low, maybe less than 20%. Least in these parts.

This ax was picked up 2 months after my best three fourths grooved ax.

From the bit area it looks like its been re-flaked. Then lost or what ever.

I say this because of all the broken slate I have, this one on the broke edge has the ripples of the flaking to reshape the bit. I believe this ax was in process of being salvaged after broke.

You can see on the other larger side of the bit much of the polish is visible and the length of the original ax as likely to that edge or further.
20200416_185846.jpg

20200416_185855.jpg

20200416_185858.jpg

20200416_185906.jpg

20200416_185914.jpg

20200416_185934.jpg

Upvote 1
Nice! I know you probably posted pics of your axe's before but please post them again. I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing them.

Cool find!

Slate is way too soft for an axe. It would sure look nice though, all polished up. Gary

It's not common, but it was used a decent amount for axes and celts in parts of Indiana and Ohio. It probably worked pretty quickly. I've found a couple over the years and bought a bunch from farm collections, from recollection they are all that bulbous full groove style.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back