sad news. i got permission.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
i had asked permission to hunt on a farm that encompasses most of a ghost town about 5 miles from home. this was sunday. the lady in charge said "it's best to let sleeping dogs lie". last night she calls me and said "you can hunt any where here but i want every thing you find. it has historic value and should stay here" my answer to her was, i will split and give you first picks. again " no i want it all" i said i get $20. an hour for recovery hunts. thank you for your time!

$20.00 an hour huh ! Your cheap, my local mechanic gets $55.00 hour to fix the wrong thing. You should raise your rates and charge more in line with your expertise. :icon_scratch: :icon_study:

My policy is if the land owner wants it all, I let them have it. I don't really find anything worth a lot and just want that thrill of finding old stuff.
HH,
Donny

She called you, sounds like she is looking for something or just wants the wealth you find. I agree, charge a fee and if she is really interested in obtaining, she will deal with you one way or another.

Let's see...

cost of detector
cost of batteries
cost of gas

hunt just for the privilege of giving all finds to someone else...

Not only no but (you know what goes here)!

I'd said sure, 8 AA alkine batteries and 20$ and hour, +10% finders fee per item.(10% of item value)
;D ;D ;D

If a site were really cherry, I would gladly hunt it, even if meant turning over all the finds to the owner. Hunting and finding is all the fun. You can take pix, to capture the glory, and "attaboys" among your friends. Heck, most of the time when an owner says "I get everything you find", they rarely really take you up on it anyhow. Often times when I start to hand over stuff, they have a change of heart anyhow, and only pick sample stuff, and tell you to keep the rest.

I got permission to scuttle under a building at the 2nd oldest mission in California recently. It netted me a 1790 half reale, and other period items. Naturally it required that anything found was to be given to the musuem. A small price to pay for the fun of having such a rare hunting opportunity!

Attachments

• kenney-grimes-carmel-mission 018.jpg
    kenney-grimes-carmel-mission 018.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 645
Yeah then this is this. I found a REALLY cool Hubley truck not too long ago. I will proably NEVER find anything like it again! This is something I would have displayed in my home for everyone that came in the home to see it was that cool. But I made the promise that I would allow the homeowner to claim anything I found. Of course she wanted it, she said to me, "I don't know what I'll do with it but I want it. It came from my yard and I just don't think someone else should have it."

Now that is her right per our agreement but it still bothers me that I had to give that up.

So cost is not the issue. I detect to FIND things and keep as many of those things as I can. Since I have been detecting I have only given up ONE silver coin that I found and that was for a very good reason.

I wouldn't invest the time and energy hunting a piece of property when you know you aren't getting to keep anything unless you are doing it to help out a museum or something like that.

thank you, all. i feel better. i think she lost a few marbles which i will find some day!

Searching a site on behalf of a local museum is one thing - I would gladly give my finds over to them. But I would not hunt a site just to hand it over to some owner who would probably put the stuff in a box, never to be seen again.

Do what it takes to get on a site and make the finds. This is my philosophy.

In saying what you said to her, you showed yourself to be just as greedy as she is. :-\ Besides, it's HER land in the first place. And let's face it--property owners don't owe us a thing, no matter what our monetary investment in our hobby is.

-Buckles

buckle boy, i was polite and always polite. i told her i respected her wishes. i told her to enjoy the day. i am not a greedy person. why are you biting at me?

flyinguy said:
buckle boy, i was polite and always polite. i told her i respected her wishes. i told her to enjoy the day. i am not a greedy person. why are you biting at me?
I for one think you did the right thing. If a person comes across that way..you can be sure you wouldn't be able to fill a hole properly, no matter how careful you are.

You did good flyinguy,i asked an good friend to deteced his property its an old bosh brewery he said go a head but he whant's every thing that's werth over 5 bucks.

There was a Roman Catholic Church a couple towns over from me. That had on it's property a school that was closed in the 70s. Since then it has been used for various things but most recently it was being used for simply storage. I had asked a couple of times from various different authorities for permission to detect around the school. But each authority just passed the buck onto the next entity until I was finally told no. Recently the Archdiocese Decided to close that church and sell the property. The new owner said sure go ahead have fun. Some times waiting can be better than slave labor. :wink:

there is no way i would ever indulge a property owner's greed for 100% of the finds. a 50/50 split is reasonable. issues above and beyond that can be resolved by doing the right thing and turning over disputed items to the land owner. sometimes the land owner's greed will be so obvious to both parties that they will feel embarrassed or shameful and allow the detectorist to keep the item/s, but not always. greed holds sway over many people's lives- a sad aspect of the dark side of human nature.

flyinguy said:

I wasn't biting--I just dislike it when we say things that portray us, or our hobby in a negative light. Thank you for being polite to her. :thumbsup: I also woulda left my phone number or business card in case she was willing to reconsider a 50/50 split. If she ever loses a gold ring while cutting the grass, her tune might change! :wink:

-Buckles

For what it's worth, I agree... just get on the property. If she starts hanging around you, flip your descrim to all iron, and dig every little nail and screw you can find. When you dig it, act very surprised and tell her how this is a 1960's nail that is in fine shape and worthy of a collector. Tell her, "Hopefully, we'll find allot more of these around here. Maybe she'll leave you alone then.

(not joking. I would really do this.)

buckle, she does have my# and called me. as i stated earlier. if i wanted to be a pig i would go in on her terms, bang a bunch of iron, dump the coins in my sneaker and leave! i am not that person,tho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back