Ryedale thgouhts on results and updates?

NJyoungcrh

Aug 27, 2023
i purchased a ryedale as I have access to a lot of boxes of cents.

This is my first post and i am new here. I was wondering if you would like me to update you all on how things go. i was thinking making an excel file with what bank was purchased from, wheats, pounds of copper, and anything else you guys could think of.

Thank you,
N

Upvote 1
Let me give you some tips on the Ryedale.

Of course, as you know, it separates the copper from the zinc. The copper is to save, and the zinc is on the other side, inthe reject bin. HOWEVER - I found that a LOT of wheats from pre 1940 went ot the zinc side. remember - it is not rejecting "zinc" it is rejecting anything that is not the same as the accept side, which is a copper. I guess some copper before 1940 was a little different, and therefore doesn't "match" and is rejected.

SO, as I ran my machine, I would watch the REJECT side with my eyes as I loaded it. Watched for dark colored ones that came out. Would yank those, and most of the time they were older wheats. I didn't need to watch the accept side, because I would comb through those anyway after I was done, looking for wheats.

My best year by the way, was 4,576 wheats, 5 indian heads, 6 steel cents (came from hand rolled ones, not from boxes) and 245,000 coppers. So yes, the Ryedale works. :-) Use a 1980 or so penny, so that it is a good coin for the right discrimination. ANd do not forget to watch the reject tray!

i purchased a ryedale as I have access to a lot of boxes of cents.

This is my first post and i am new here. I was wondering if you would like me to update you all on how things go. i was thinking making an excel file with what bank was purchased from, wheats, pounds of copper, and anything else you guys could think of.

Thank you,
N
By the way, some of the rarer coins I've gotten by CRH over the years are:

1909 VDB - 2
1909 - 2
1911D - 1
1911S - 1
1912D - 2
1912S - 1
1913D - 2
1914S - 1
1922D - 2
1923S - 1

And that's just some of the older rare ones. Regular not so hard to find ones I've gotten a lot more, even though they are not worth more than probably $0.03 each. Like

1917 - 38
1918 - 67
1919 - 96
1920 - 144

and it grows. When you get up a few decades, I found

1940 - 321
1941 - 327
1942 - 259
1944 - 656
1944D - 349
1944S - 219
1945 - 541

and then going up another decade and a half, the numbers are groiwing, until I hvae a few with over 1,000 in one strike.

1956D - 1041
1957D - 1008
1958D - "only" 944

and I don't count how many from 1959 to 1982. Literally tons, so not going to count. Not worth anything more as one versus another anyway, so I don't count them.

That gives you an idea of what you can find. I did most of my hunting from 2007 to 2010. Byt then, house pricers had crashed and I was buying houses like a madman. Using them as rentals. That took ALL my time, and I haven't really done pennies since 2010. I would imagine the ratios are a LOT lower now of copper versus zinc, as so much more zinc has been added, but do what you can. Good luck to you.

In the past, I had saw a post from a Ryedale user that said he ran his rejects (zincs) thru again with a zinc penny as the standard to find older wheats and indian heads that were rejected.

In the past, I had saw a post from a Ryedale user that said he ran his rejects (zincs) thru again with a zinc penny as the standard to find older wheats and indian heads that were rejected.
Way WAYYYYY too much time wasted. I can catch them just by looking on the first pass, and by not doing literally 100% of the work again a second time, I can do a lot more boxes per day. If I still miss one or two? W ell, then by doing extra boxes that gave me a lot more again anyway, so I am wheats ahead. I was doing 10 boxes a week plus any special collections I could get (like when a teller said someone brought in $400 of pennies they had been saving for years. the ratios of older coppers and wheats went up dramatically on those. yes, in addition to the 10 boxes. I ran about 30,000 coins a week at my peak)

I've always wondered, why not just start with a zinc and look through anything that didn't match zinc?

I've always wondered, why not just start with a zinc and look through anything that didn't match zinc?
Because like many things in the world today, the quality control at the mint is less today than it was. many zincs would be rejected, as they don't match the same ratios. It really screws things up. Just does. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back