Roosevelt Dime with a Grainy Finish? Rare? Valuable? Worth a Dime?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone through over 10,000 dimes in the last few weeks coin roll hunting and this one is a first for me. It's a 1987 P Roosevelt dime with a grainy finish on the obverse. The back is normal, but the front seems strange. The date and "In God We Trust" seem fuzzy from the grainy finish. Is this some sort of minting error? Does it have any value?

Hard to take a good photo, but here it is next to a 1986 dime:

DSC06346.JPGDSC06345.JPG

Late obverse die state.

I'd go with Die wear. I can't think of how grease would cause that kind of pitting, but radial lines from the design feature to the rim is a symbol of die wear and metal flow in the stamping process.

I'd go with Die wear. I can't think of how grease would cause that kind of pitting, but radial lines from the design feature to the rim is a symbol of die wear and metal flow in the stamping process.

I believe you are correct! Due to excessive wear and I believe Dies that have become excessively hot due to the rapid stamping and pressures minting coins, excessive pressure flows outward from the largest (main) image (in this case, Roosevelt's bust) and because the Dies heat the planchet during striking, it causes the Cladding and possibly the metal underneath to flow outward from the main image in an almost starburst effect.

Frank

Last edited:
Interesting thing, after the die flow starts to get into the design, if it is caught, the die is pulled, polished, and put back into use. This can cause Proof-like coins for circulation. The more hard working the people who maintained the dies, the more proof like coins made. New Orleans tended to have almost no Proof like coins while it was so common in some years in San Francisco that there are more proof like dollars of 1881 S, than frosty ones. Also, if the rays are not buffed and polished out, they can deepen and eventually, bits of the die can break away (causing cracked die errors and eventually CUD errors).

It is die wear for sure. Planchet damage also. When a die is used many many times it wears down and breaks resulting in this. Not much value above 10 cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back